Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Currently in Quarantine

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio-Gold betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30% (1 gallon)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarium Salt

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hasn't changed, the spot was there when I bought him yesterday
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More active considerin he was in a cup up until last night.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When he was in his cup
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Quarantine, daily 30% changes and AQ Salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? he's pretty small for a veil tail so I would guess young but he was in the pet shop for about 3 weeks (as far as I know).

I have a divided 10 set up and was out looking for a new boy for the other side. I had seen this guy a few weeks earlier and went back to see if he was still there or if the store had a similar one. He was still there but looking a little sick.

I grabbed him and rushed him home into a quarantine tank, while he was in the cup I noticed a white patch above his eye, what looked like fin rot, a bulging belly and eyes.

The belly and eyes might just be because he is still fairly young, or because I'm being paranoid. The fin rot may have just been coloration since the dark edges are now iridescent blue, almost metalic/steel blue. The white patch is there and more noticeable now that he's getting his color back (He was almost cello when I put him in his tank from his conditions and the stress of travel).

What do you think? The patch in question is on top of his head above the eye.

Any advise for what else I can do for treatment? I have Jungle anti-fungal but I want to avoid medication as long as I can.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #2 
Malvolti

Anyone?

There hasn't been any change. I'm starting to wonder though if it is fungus.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #3 
vaygirl

It almost looks like a wound. Is it like an indent in his head? I can't tell from the pic. Or is it fuzzy? If it is an indent, it looks like he bashed his head into something and it should heal on it's own with clean water. If it's fuzzy, I'd think fungus.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #4 
Malvolti

That's the thing. I can't tell. Depending on the light and the angle it can look like an indent or not. That's why I'm starting to wonder, I think it could be a scar or something (maybe he got in a fight with another betta at the store?).

I think I'll keep him isolated and treated for at least a week and watch for a change. If it is a wound or scar will it completely heal or will he always have the whitish spot? I'm not worried about a blemish, just need to know what to watch for.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 
vaygirl

It should heal over. Kilo got his face sucked into a siphon tube once and it looked very much like that. You can't even tell now.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #6 
Malvolti

Update:

so I've been treating for over 5 days with just salt and no change. I'm starting with Jungle anti-fungal. It says to only treat for 2 days so we'll see if that helps.

At this point I'm hoping it's an old scar. I'd hate to think he has an untreatable fungus.

If it was an injury I don't know how or when it could have happened. He had it before he was in my tank, it was on him in the store. He had been at the store for at least a week when I got him.

Last edited by Malvolti; 01-10-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #7 
lilchiwolf

My CT Male had this too. He did not come with it. He had it the next day and I was like WTF is that? I gave him another day and then it got smaller till it went away a few days later. One of my females I just got is doing the same thing. O.o
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #8 
Malvolti

Update 12th day

It has been 12 days now since I adopted Domino. The patch hasn't changed or faded. I've had to stop the salt but I'm still doing daily water changes.

Salt didn't help, I tried my Jungle anti-fungal for a full course and that did nothing. I've read that in some cases bacterial infections can present fungal-like symptoms so I've started a course of Maracyn and Maracyn2.

Here's a picture I just took.

If this does nothing I may have to try either a stronger anti-bacterial or a stronger anti-fungal. Suggestions would be apreciated.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

It looks like fungus to me. It looks close to the fungus shown here:
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #10 
Malvolti

Yeah, I always check there if I'm not sure. I tried the Jungle Fungus eliminator for a full course and it didn't do anything.