Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #1 
devo7x

external parasites

Hello, I got Archer just a few days ago and I'm pretty sure he has external parasites, though I don't know which ones. He trembles, scratches himself (so much his crowntail edges are littering the tank), is inactive, doesn't eat or show any interest in food, and has swim bladder issues.

I don't see any white spots. I think I maaaay have seen some velvet though I am unsure if that's his natural coloring. I did a 20% water change, put in some aquarium salt, and have covered his tank from light. Here are the specs:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75-80*
Does your tank have a filter? no.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no.
Is your tank heated? yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, aside from the parasites.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? wardley betta food and the occasional bloodworm, though this specific betta has not eaten since he has come home
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets once a day, bloodworms twice a week at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None (Bruce, my other betta, has lived just fine with this for months, and came from the same store as Archer).

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0ish
Hardness: 120 (this actually matches what was in his cup; my area has very hard water)
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped fins, very dark
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Twitches, scratches, is inactive til I get his attention, does not eat, shows swim bladder issues.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Tuesday night, two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have done a 20% water change, added aquarium salt, and covered the tank from light.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)? n/a

Please, I beg you, just help me. :/ He's so beautiful and was so friendly, I'd hate to lose him.
devo7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #2 
Creat

If he does have swim bladder problems salt actually has a negative effect on them and can you describe the parasites more or add pictures? try heating the tank up to 82* but i am not sure right now so thats all i can offer at the moment.

Last edited by Creat; 01-08-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #3 
devo7x

I honestly don't know if they are parasites. I can't see anything, but he's constantly scratching and his fin tips are all over the tank (I'm assuming from rubbing himself everywhere). And I don't have an adjustable heater. :/

Also, like an idiot, I used the turkey baster I use for Bruce in Archer's tank. I've scalded it inside and out, but I'm terrified now that Bruce will get sick. Does scalding utensils kill any possible parasites?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #4 
Creat

It should a good scrub does the job for me. I would up the water changes 100% every day if not doing 50% and then another 100% in a week should suffice. Do you run on well water and thats why you dont add anything into the water because most water have heavy metals and chlorine in it that need to be removed.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 AM   #5 
devo7x

Yeah, I have well water. And should I really do 100% per day? I've always heard that's bad. Maybe I'll do 50% for a little while.

Thanks for the help, btw.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #6 
Creat

I also thought it was bad but since all your doing is not letting ammonia build up the water wont cycle which is ok. What I learned was that toxins build up in the water if you do only 25% each time. And that kills the fish. Since I started changing water that much I havent had problems. And smaller tanks also have problems holding a cycle.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #7 
devo7x

Well I don't think I have a cycling problem, at least with Bruce. But I did something very wrong with Archer. He didn't make it. :/ God, I feel like a betta killer. It happened so quick...
Old 01-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #8 
Creat

Well im sorry better luck next time :) and i would try upping water changes it should help.