Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #1 
Creat

Unhappy Female Doesnt Want to Breed

So I have had this gorgeous little blue green ct female for a month or so. I have tried to breed her twice to no avail. The first time was with a hm male who she seemed relatively interested in and would flare back and display her vertical bars. She will follow to the nest but then leave. I gave her a week or two of seclusion and rest in between the breeding and placed her with a ct male a week ago. Mind you she was conditioned before the first one. She acts the same, the male will chase and display and she will follow him back to the nest but will leave immediately . She has been in there in a week. This girl has given me nothing but problems this is her fourth attempted breeding, my friend tried her twice before to no avail also. I even put another female floating in there and she attempted to dominate it and she started chasing the male more and he built a massive nest but she doesnt stick around.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #2 
ryguy886

I am having the same problem with my CT female. She has been in the tank with the male for 4 days now and will go to the nest but leave very shortly after that. The male chases her and she will flare but not even anything close to an embrace??? I am going to leave her for another few days and then try another female. I can actually see all the eggs inside of her and They were both conditioned on freeze dried bloodworms for almost two weeks. Hopefully they will spawn in the next day or so.
ryguy886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #3 
Creat

I wish you the best of luck. I am loosing faith but she has the best fins of all my ct females so far so I am rather irked by her lack of action.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #4 
Astro277

Whats the longest youve left them together?

I suggest 2 days as long as you keep a very close eye on them and make sure their not being ripped up to much or freaked out.
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #5 
reaper0325

I also have a female betta who just won't breed. I condition her with live mosquito larvae, and have paired her with 4 males already. She is really plump with eggs. Once she "agreed" to wrap, but no eggs came out. Now i'm trying to breed her with my best breeder male betta, they are now 2 days in the aquarium and still i see no eggs. Oh well, i think some girls are just impossible to please!
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Have you tried a "temp shock" - put her is a slightly colder tank (compared to the breeding tank). IME, when everything should support breeding but doesn't, raising temp usually works. OR

You said it's "a little blue green CT" - perhaps she is too young or too small.... just a thought.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #7 
ryguy886

I am going to remove some of the live plants for today and see what happens, there are too many places for her to hide from the male. I am going to see if that makes a difference.
ryguy886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #8 
Creat

@Astro- the longest I have put her was with a male before and that was a week and a half I left her that long becuase I hadnt seen any damage done to her fins and she wasnt running.
@Indijo-I just might try the temprature shock and see if that helps at all whats the best temp difference for doing it? Would 5 degrees be good?. She doesnt seem to small I just used small as a reference she is a good 3 cm long and round with eggs.

and still nothing today is going on more flaring nest fell apart a little in the night.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #9 
lilchiwolf

I have issues with my females as well. My VT female is plump with eggs right now. She shows her breeding bars when she is in the jar next to the male. I released her and she when strait to sub mode and hit all over. The male ripped her up a little to (he is a very aggressive breeder) so I took her out and put her back in the jar with the male and she filled up with color again and breeding bars. Someone please tell me whats up with that?

Also, my CT female is ready to breed, but she is more aggressive than my male and wants to rip him apart. It there anything I can do to get these two mamas to breed nicely? Anything I can use to help?

My breeding tank is a 5 gal set up, bare bottom, cup for bubble nest (had a huge net in it right now), a few fake plants (cause all the pet stores out here have crappy plants that have snail eggs all over them), temp is about 80`F
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote