Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #1 
Bmo

Treating for ich / Can he really be that cold?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a wk
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner (may this be the cause?...I usually get AquaSafe but I'm now using Aqueon.)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No :\

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: ?
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ? (geez, I feel like a rotten owner for not knowing these things.)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A bit pale in color. Ich bubbles on scales. Is making progress, it's been two days.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Actually, not much at all. If anything maybe a bit lazy. He's still new.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. I am using Super Ich Treatment Liquid
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown but I've had him for about 2 wks now.

I thought I was doing everything right but he still seems cold. Isn't 82/83F pretty warm for them? He stays right against the heater as well. Isn't that a bit harmful to their scales? Perhaps I should move the heater under the gravel? I'm using the Hydor heater for a 5 gal. I actually thought it was too warm for the tank but it works very well! But...I hope this is enough! Am I doing something wrong? I'm curious if the conditioner might be the problem. I should have bought the AquaSafe...His ich is clearing some though I feel more concerned about the temperature. I understand it should get no lower than 76 degrees. Is there any advice that can be given to my current situation?
Bmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #2 
vaygirl

For some reason, when bettas are feeling poorly, they end up on the heater. Is he resting on the bracket that holds it? It's just something they do when they're not right. It doesn't mean he's not warm enough and he shouldn't get burnt from it.

Continue with your treatment. Ich can't be killed until it falls off the fish and heat makes ich mature and drop off your fish faster. 82 is a fine temp for that.

Also, stepping up your water changes will help him fight off any future illness. In a 2.5, you should probably do a 50 percent AND a 100 water change a week. (I might be off. If anyone else could corroborate for me, thanks.)

Last edited by vaygirl; 01-08-2011 at 01:19 AM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #3 
Bmo

Thanks, vaygirl!

Yeah, it sounds like that would be for the best--changing the water twice a week. I did a 75% water change last night because I was a bit worried about the water being too dirty with the ich going around but I wanted to leave some of his bacteria so he wasn't completely bleh after he got back in his tank. I'll keep checking this thread to see if anyone else mentions the water change too. It's so great to be apart of a community that's knowledgeable about bettas. If you ask the 'experts' at the pet store; forget about it! I always get terrible answers.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #4 
fishman12

Yes, step up the water changes. The 100% and 50% every week should be good. Also, how many pelllets are you feeding?
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #5 
vaygirl

All my tanks are cycled so I'm not always sure about water changes on uncycled tanks. Thanks Fishman!

@Bmo - I know a lady who works at my Petco in the fish section and she swears that the only way to keep a betta alive longer then a few months is to keep them in a bowl with monthly water changes and food only once a week. She told me I'm making my fish sick with heat, too much clean water and food.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #6 
Bmo

Great advice, you two! I appreciate it.

EDIT: Oh! And I am feeding him about 3-4 pellets every other day. Is that the norm?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #7 
fishman12

Yep, thats good.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #8 
shinybetta

I would step it up to 6 pellets a day with one day of fasting.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #9 
vaygirl

Most people do feed daily. You can break it up into 2 in the morning and 2 at night or 3 and 3. It depends on the size really. Wardley betta pellets are huge, while Betta Bio Gold are pretty small. I have small Atison's pellets and mine do fine on 6 pellets a day, one day of fasting a week.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #10 
Bmo

Hmm, alright. I was told that bettas stomachs are about the size of their eyeball which isn't too big so I was scared about feeding him too much but I can start feeding him everyday. I was thinking treats every now and then like bloodworms :3