Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #1 
jschristian44

very newb to breeding

hey
ive had my male betta "Leon" for about a week or two now. i really enjoy him. i would really like to breed these fish so i can have some to sell or keep some more. i have him in a 2 gallon tank right now. if i got a female, could i just keep her next to the bowl for a few days, then put her in. how hard is it to breed, and how many fish come out of one egg hatching?
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 
bettafish15

It takes alot of time and money to breed. I'd wait until your more experienced in betta keeping :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #3 
beat2020

Please do a WHOLE lot more research before you even consider breeding . Sites a like bettysplendens.com and bettatalk.com are great starters. You have got to realise this hobby requires a lot of time,dedication,space,and money.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

To answer your questions..

no you can not just add her to the tank. That would result in one or both of the fish being killed

breeding can be easy or difficult depending on how much research you've done and how much work and time you put in

one spawn can yield up to 200 babies, however even the most experienced breeders rarely get that many fry. Generally you'll get somewhere between 20-50 if your really lucky, more experienced breeders might get upwards of 100. New breeders will be lucky if they get 10 or more from their first spawns (speaking from experience).

Breeding is not something that should be jumped into. Take your time to learn how to breed properly and responsibly.

Some things you should consider are:
Do you have the time?-Water changes must be done EVERY SINGLE DAY, when the males are jarred you'll have to change the water in the jars as well. Can you handle changing water every day. Also, fry need to be fed multiple times a day, at least twice with 3-5 times a day being preferable.

Do you have the money? The start up costs for breeding can get pretty expensive especially if you don't have anything. You'll need a spawning tank (generally 5-10 gallons), a growout tank (anywhere from 10+ gallons), jars for the males and aggressive females, heat for all tanks and jars (cold fish don't grow), live foods, live or silk plants, shipping supplies for when you sell your fry.

Are you breeding for the right reasons? There are many hundreds of thousands of bettas that die each year because they are sitting on petstore shelves. If your going to breed you need to have a goal in mind that will make Betta spelendens better. Goals like improved finnage, improved color, longevity, etc should be behind any breeding.

Are you willing to cull? Bettas are sometimes born with genetic deformities and must be killed because it would be cruel to let them live. Are you prepared to do that. Also, what if you can't find homes for all the fish, your options are cull or send to a pet store (where they may likely rot to death). Culling is often the hardest thing for breeders to do but it must be done.

How will you find homes?
Are your fish going to end up back at a petstore? Can you trust that the store will take care of the fish instead of letting them die in filth like most stores do. Will you be able to find homes where your fish will be taken care of correctly.

I would also advise you not to breed a petstore fish. Many people do but you have to realize that very few people are going to buy a fish bred from pet store stock. If your willing to cull and find homes then more power to you but don't expect people to be all over your fry. It's something akin to breeding mutt dogs.

I'm not trying to scare you off, much the opposite. I just want you to really have an understanding of how serious breeding is and how it must be done responsibly.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #5 
jschristian44

thank you guys for the information, i dont think im gonna be breeding these.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #6 
brandonwlee

I encourage you to try only if you have a clear objective after doing lots of suitable research. Spawning a pair isn't difficult, its the rearing of the tiny fry that is the hardest part.
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #7 
jschristian44

thank you brandon for your contribution. i am going to wait quite a while for this. first i want to make sure my betta has the optimum tank and environment. i just ordered a 2.5g tank that comes with everything. all i need now is a heater for it and i think i am set. just a question, would 2.5g be enough to put the male/female together when it comes time? i can still cancel my order and get a 10g tank if i need it, but i thought 2.5g would be enough, when the time came.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Nope, for breeding them you need a 10g, IMO. Hopefully breeding is far down on your list right now, so you really could get a 2.5 for your male or spend the money for a 10g right now.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Some people spawn in a 2.5 gallon but remember that the male and female cannot be housed together long term and the male will have to be removed eventually. You need a tank for the male, a tank for the female, and a tank for the fry.

Read the breeding sticky at the top of this forum for more information.

Also here are some links with helpful articles..

www.bettysplendens.com
www.bettaterritory.nl
http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/

Read and read some more. It takes a lot of time and a lot of equipment. You can't breed bettas having only one tank.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #10 
jschristian44

well the 2.5g was only 20 dollars and it came with a fish net, water conditioner, plants, gravel and the works.... the cheapest 10 gallon i saw was like 30 dollars at walmart with a lid on it. but they were out of stock on them. i think ill just continue with the 2.5g and see how i like it instead of wasting the money and i might not even breed them. i just thought it would be a cool learning experience to see the new fry hatch and stuff. i would sell the offspring on craigslist probably and just keep the rest of them. im sure only like 5 would hatch on my first try anyways so its not a big deal from what i hear about it. but when i get good about it, ill have like 50 of them and i wont know what to do like the people here said. could probably sell like 20 on craigslist but then i got like 40 more i dont know what to do with. so yeah i dont think i want to breed them.