Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #1 
CrazyBirdLady

Smile Planning ahead... questions :)

Hi everyone, so after months and months of reading about breeding bettas, we'd really like to give it a try! I just wanted to make sure I have all that I need so we won't get any surprises in the beginning!

-10gallon tank
-heater
-styrofoam cups
-plants
-BBS
-Frozen fresh food for parents
-vase for Mamma
-thermometer
-siphon/turkey baster

My questions are about filtration. I know you can't use a filter when the fry are tiny, but at what stage do you use it? And when you do start, is an air stone all you need?

Thanks a bunch :)
CrazyBirdLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Awesome......I don't use filtration in either my spawning tank or fry tanks, but a lot of folks like to use sponge type filters if they do use filtration along with a gang valve so you can control the water flow/bubbles

Good luck..look forward to hearing about your spawning...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #3 
CrazyBirdLady

Thank you! That's the word I meant to say, sponge filter! It just hit me that I mixed up the two, lol. Good to know I don't need filters though, I was getting mixed information about that everywhere! Thank you :)
CrazyBirdLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Lots of different ways to spawn this species....its finding what works for you....sometimes you have to tweak things with each spawn and breeders...keeps us on our toes....lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

You sound like you have everything covered. I would suggest you get one or two other foods. Just like adults, fry do best with a variety. I personally like to start off with something a little smaller than BBS for the first 2 weeks such as Vinegar eels or micro worms. Just a suggestion :)

I would also have plastic wrap to cover the top of the tank. I can't begin to describe how much better the fry seem to do when the tank is really humid. That's why I love using the plastic bins with the tops that lock on. I also like to suggest IAL to have the water tinted.

I use a sponge filter in my grow out tanks and I highly suggest them. Its great if you get busy and have to miss a water change. I would suggest buying it now, putting it in an already cycled tank (or cycling it in a tank if you don't have a cycled tank), that way when you need it you can just put it in the other tank and don't have to worry about cycling it. A gang valve is a must so you can adjust the flow as your fry become better swimmers.

My water has a tendency to develop a film over the top if not aerated so I find filters especially useful.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I started with the hobbyist method but I used a small PennPlax corner filter instead of a sponge filter. I have had fry get sucked up before but there's no way it can harm them because they get shot out in a couple of seconds anyway. My blue dragon HMPK spawn actually took turns riding the current! Haha. Now a days I spawn in a 4 gallon tub with 3 inches of water, a plant, and a heater. I get spawns within a few days. Just start with the traditional method and then begin tweeking to fit what's best for you.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote