Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #1 
jschristian44

just got my new bowl today

Leon really likes it. He is swimming around more than ever and looks happy. Got a whole kit for under 20.00 shipped on Amazon. Check out the pictures.

jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #2 
jschristian44

quick question, how could i make a simple divider for the tank? eventually im gonna get a female and a 10-20g tank for the fish fry im going to breed, but i want to use this bowl to seperate the male/female once their done spawning. i just dont know what to use to divide it in the middle. ive seen them done but their like 20 dollars a piece. i know one can be made at home, but out of what? anyways, Leon really enjoys himself in the new tank, hes creating bubbles like crazy at the top.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

jschristian44,

Leon looks like a beautiful betta.

I'm going to recomend that you read the site's FAQ (up top of this page in the menu bar). It should answer a lot of the questions you have.

This is just an observation... but a two fish divided set up in a bowl that size would be a horror show to maintain/clean. If you had two seperate bowls with heaters (or a constant room temp of 80F) covers (bettas like to jump!) and frequent water changes, they would do much better.

I have my betta in a five gallon tank with heater and cover... that's my preference. For each betta, that's a $50.00 minimum investment (not counting the heater, gravel, etc). The minimum size I'd go in a pinch is 2.5 gallon, but not sure if what a proper set-up in 2.5 costs.

Again, that's my preference... but if you can keep the bettas in the bowls, keep the water fresh and at a consistant temperature, they will be ok.

I'll have to leave the breeding questions to those who breed!

Good Luck,

Cheryl
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

How many gallons is that? Glass or plastic? Can it be heated? Can you put up the link to it on Amazon?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really like the looks of it & may be interested. :)

Thanks!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #5 
jschristian44

yeah i know that much, but i dont want to get 2 seperate heaters. i got one mini heater and thats why i want them to share the tank. i do have another tank the same size, but i dont got much room in my room and i want to get a 10g/20g tank for my dresser yet. i dont want 50 fish bowls in my room. i just made a divider out of a ziplock plastic top. poked holes in it and put it in. it does the job well enough. im not gonna use it to condition them, im gonna use it to just divide them after they breed. i think they should each have enough room in there because the tank is pretty tall. thats like 1.75g for each fish which is more than what people usually hold these fish in. i think the recommended was 1g, but people around here urge at least 2g. but i think they should be fine. i just dont want to spend more money on another heater, etc. cleaning it will be easy enough. just take out the divider, and clean out the bowl. but thanks for the help.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #6 
jschristian44

haha Lion mom, i thought you were gonna criticize me about it. its a 2.5g and its plastic. im getting a heater for it so i will find out. the small hydor mini heaters can be used with plastic tanks right? i would figure they could be, because 7w of heat isn't going to burn a hole in a plastic bowl will it?

here is the link, check out my photos I added:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

here is the heater im getting:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

My LFS sells that starter kit! I like the way it looks. I might get it for Betta fish in the future.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #8 
scootshoot

That's a cool bowl, definite upgrade from your earlier betta home. In a bowl like that you are better off to keep it undivided.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Nah - as long as you do the needed water changes, you're good. Heck, I keep one of my boys in a 2 gal. glass drum bowl with a small internal filter, a 25 watt heater, live plants & driftwood. Of course, I clean it 3 times a week and he seems VERY happy!!!

Another question - is it flexible plastic or acrylic? If it's flexible plastic, I don't think it can have a heater in it. :(

Last edited by Lion Mom; 01-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #10 
jschristian44

well i want to put the male and female in the same bowl. they will fight and stuff after they spawn wont they? i wish i had a local fish shop all i got is petsmart , etc. im pretty sure i can use the heater in this tank.