Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #51 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
thanks bettafish, i already knew all that. but what about if i just buy another tank like the one i got today, and keep the female in that one, along with the same heater? then i can put the two tanks flat side against each other when it comes time for breeding inside the 10 gallon tank im going to get. will that work? either that or use a jar for the 10g tank for the female, and put the male in the 10 gallon tank to condition them. then once their done i can put them each in the bowl i get for them. would that work good enough?
Good idea to have two separate tanks for the male and female :) However, even the female SEEING the male in the tank beside hers will have her stuffed with eggs - which again is unhealthy for all the time unless breeding. I would just get another tank for a female, and keep something in between their tanks if you HAVE to have the tanks side by side. Getting the 10g for the breeding is a good idea :) But the rest I dont know about, as I'm not a breeder myself, but I'm sure one will chime in :D

*Edit: Oh, the red stones you had in your other bowl? No, dont use them again, they look too sharp.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #52 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

jschristian44,

Thank you, we're being very patient and frugal and keeping a roof over our collective heads (2 humans, three cats and five fish, assorted spiders and a stink bug that came in on a christmas wreath).

Now, if the government would just stop messing stuff up and get out of everybody's way, we humans will get back to work!

But I digress... :)

I'm off to cook dinner... Have a great night!
Cheryl
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #53 
JD3P

While you're waiting to start breeding you should research the genetics of bettas. That way you know what you might be getting from the spawn. There are also many videos on youtube for how to go about the process. As for giving the bettas away for free on craigslist..I don't see that working out as well as you might think. You might end up for over 300 fry...do you have room to keep over 300 cups in your house? I was considering breeding also, but I realize now that although it's fun to learn about, the actual end result will probably be very overwhelming. Especially for someone who is only just learning how to care for an individual betta. Do you know about how to cycle a tank at least? That's going to be important as well. Also you'll have to ultimately ship a large majority of the bettas, which is gonna include buying boxes, bags, heating pads, packing peanuts, and whatever else, per fish. I'm not saying this to discourage you or anything, but like everyone else said you should probably just focus on your one fish. This is definitely something you wanna take your time with and plan very well.

Last edited by JD3P; 01-08-2011 at 05:35 PM.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #54 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Lemme clear this up for you. Even WITH a divider, males and females cannot be in the same tank unless breeding. The female will be full of eggs from the hormones in the water, and being full of eggs all the time is bad for females. Very very bad. So no matter what, no divider/tank will let you keep a male and female together. It's not an "opinion" as you said, it's a fact. Glad you hear your waiting until spring to try breeding :)
This isn't completely true.

I have housed males and females together before. In fact I have one housed together right now since up until recently, I thought my male was a female. So far, aside from jumping over the divider (my fault I wasn't thinking when I filled it and thought they were both females) and attempting to woo her over to his rather unspectacular bubble nest, they have totally ignored each other.

My female hasn't filled up with eggs or shown any signs of being interested in breeding, and my male is more busy flaring at the Anubias leaves than he is at jumping into her side of the tank.

Of course, I wouldn't have put them together in a tank any smaller than what they are in now. I think the larger amount of water dilutes whatever hormones are present, and with a lot more distractions and larger territory to patrol, my male is kept busier than if he was stuck in a 2 gallon bowl.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #55 
bettafish15

Alright, I was just saying what I have read before. It might have just been a special case for you, who knows. Either way, its not recommended in a bowl, so if he does want them to share a tank, he'd need to get a 10g and divide it. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #56 
jschristian44

thanks but yeah i dont think im gonna keep them both in that tank. as for the spawn, i can put them for like 1 dollar a piece on craigslist and sell the rest as a whole on aquabid.com or something similar. but yeah i still got way more planning to do. just thought id get the supplies that i need now. as for cycling, do you mean filtering the water and stuff. i think thats gonna be the hardest part in keeping these fry. i need a sponge filter or something i think and ive been checking out youtube videos on the setup. only thing i dont know much about is the sponge filter and air tubing and stuff. wish there was a good tutorial as well as supplies list for this stuff, instead of just pictures and videos.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #57 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I wouldn't attempt it in a smaller environment like a bowl. My female is busy teasing my male through the divider, because she knows he can't get through. I think my male would be a lot more determined if the tank was even halved in size. As it is he has more space to vent his 'frustration'
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #58 
jschristian44

if i got this, would this be better than a filter, since you dont have to replace the cartridges on a filter?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A3N3VAFSB57PBN

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ACPST9RRZ2H33

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A33WNC5RWNU3Z1
Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #59 
jschristian44

by the way, my Leon is in his tank which is unheated right now and he seems to be doing fine, is a heater really that important?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #60 
jschristian44

oh i forgot to ask, would regular shiny playing marbles be good enough for the bottom to use?