Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #21 
Sweeda88

Yeah, I know. I feel sorry for them. I even feel sorry for ones with huge caudal fins. That must be quite a load!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #22 
fflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Trust me, it's been gone over before. Big Ears/Dumbos, they've popped up on the forum and my opinion is still the same. I hate them. Pectorals are bettas' main ways of swimming, and when they're huge and cumbersome like this you are NOT making bettas any better. This is for looks alone, and actually hinders a betta in swimming. Sometimes the betta actually starts to BITE their own pectorals. That is far too much. It's a mutation that was created to earn money, not help create better bettas. These bettas must be absolutely miserable.
The members who didn't like this in the past have mostly moved on from the forum, which is why you don't see any opposition yet. Most people don't look at them and think of how much extra effort the betta has to put forth, they just think it looks pretty.
Once again, I loathe this type of betta and the breeder who thought it up.

I just noticed your in Elkhart, i use to head over the Mishawaka/south bend every so often.

Glad i'm not the only one to see this as not being any different then that Diamond Eye
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #23 
shinybetta

I like the look. I can't imagine that being much different than the long fins on a halfmoon. Halfmoon bite their tails because it is hard for them to swim but no one calls that Cruel. My halfmoon bit his fins and became much happier and more active.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #24 
JKfish

This is different than larger tails, the pectorals help them steer and such, so when they're that heavy, swimming is even harder. If you look at your betta fish, you'll see he/she uses his pectorals almost constantly, much more than their tails, this is pretty much true for all tail types. Though You've got a point ShinyBetta.

Personally, I like neither the way they look nor the fact that they greatly hinder the fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #25 
baylee767

You breed these big ears... Don't you... Lol.

This is a bad thing though. As others have said, it makes a betta have a harder time swimming and is a bad trait. Don't pass the trait down to fry if you do breed...

Last edited by baylee767; 01-09-2011 at 12:16 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #26 
Alex09

Imagine having to go through life wearing a massive wedding dress. Now tie some 10 pound dumbbells to your wrists. It's pretty yes, but it makes it harder for the fish in question. As if massive anal and tail fins weren't enough. No wonder why many fish resort to self mutilation.

Last edited by Alex09; 01-09-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #27 
monroe0704

I would like to know if the people opposing this mutation have actually owned one or not? If you have not, then I don't think I'd be inclined to believe your claims of difficult swimming and cumbersome weight... Harley moves with incredible speed and agility for a fish with such large fins. Just saying....
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #28 
shinybetta

I think it all depends on the quality of the fish. A bad quality halfmoon may not be able to swim very well and most likely will bite his fins as he gets older. A good quality halfmoon may still bite, but it will be for different reasons. If the halfmoon is bred strong then it isn't that bad. I think it may be along the same principles for these fish.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #29 
CodeRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
I would like to know if the people opposing this mutation have actually owned one or not? If you have not, then I don't think I'd be inclined to believe your claims of difficult swimming and cumbersome weight... Harley moves with incredible speed and agility for a fish with such large fins. Just saying....
There's a difference, though. Look at your bettas' pectoral fins. It's COMPLETELY different than caudal, anal, or dorsal fins. Most fish don't really use those to move around. A little bit, yes, but the pectorals are bettas' main ways of transportation. Now, just watch your fish. They're almost constantly moving their pectorals, fluttering them to move themselves around. Adding more fins to that makes them larger and heavier and more awkward. Adding more weight to such an important part of their anatomy just seems cruel to me. Unneeded. Just my opinion, of course.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #30 
monroe0704

I get why people would think it's cruel... but I really can't judge until I've seen one in person. Fish are amazing creatures and can defy all we think we know hahah. Until I see one, I'm undecided, and I still can't help but think it looks cute hah.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote