Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #31 
effy

I agree with monroe, until you have seen one in person it shouldn't be assumed that it's a hindrance any more than the extension of the tails of a half moon. I have seen so many bettas unhappy because of their weighty tails. I could just as easily assume that because their pectorals are bigger they move more water in fewer strokes, therefore actually enhance stability, but I haven't seen one. If anyone has seen one living happily or unhappily then I would hope they will post on this thread and enlighten us :)
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #32 
fflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by effy View Post
I agree with monroe, until you have seen one in person it shouldn't be assumed that it's a hindrance any more than the extension of the tails of a half moon. I have seen so many bettas unhappy because of their weighty tails. I could just as easily assume that because their pectorals are bigger they move more water in fewer strokes, therefore actually enhance stability, but I haven't seen one. If anyone has seen one living happily or unhappily then I would hope they will post on this thread and enlighten us :)
Thats like saying "unless we were the fish hand had a scale over our own eyes, then we don't know if it effects our vision"

Its pretty simple, these fishes are all created based on mutation. All i was saying that if people are going to be outraged about 1 exaggerated mutation, then all exaggerated mutation much be treated the same... not solely based on something so arbitrary as how "cute" it is.

Next thing you know is that as a breed, it will be in trouble like some pure bred dogs are.

Watch a documentary on PBS called "Pedigree Dogs Exposed", you can watch the whole documentary here in parts

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...s+Exposed&aq=f

And though an extreme example of what can happen to animals when breeding goes too far. Correlations can be made. I suggest people watch it
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #33 
vaygirl

Having a basset, I know what you're talking about. The direction they're pushing that breed today, with pathetically short legs and skin that practically drags the floor, is a crime. I have the fortune of having a long legged basset that looks much more like an artisian basset and can jump without fear of injury.

Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Personally I wouldn't buy a fish like that. I understand why people do though. It's cute, of course. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #34 
Jupiter

I must admit that I do think the look is very cute, but I wouldn't buy one if it impedes its swimming.

Albatross has got some pectorals that are a bit bigger than average. He seems to swim pretty well though, even with all the extra finnage. I just think he looks so cute when he wiggles them around, lol.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #35 
affandin

affandin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #36 
affandin

Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #37 
affandin