Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week or when the pH level gets too high.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 50%, depending
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, unless I use tap water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.0
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He's pure white, but he's started turning bright red around his crown and fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? He's been acting like normal so I just kept his water clean and fed him a little less to see if it had anything to do with his diet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Have had him about 4 months

He doesn't seem to be distressed, he's active, his fins looks healthy as well as his body (except the color change) and he has an appetite. He's just... turning red. It's pretty drastic.

Before:

Now:
(Sorry it's blurry, I took this with my phone but the color is fairly accurate.)

Suggestions?
fotografa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Very pretty fella....since he is otherwise acting and eating normally...it may just be a normal color change-does the redness look to be streaking-like move from one area to another in a line?
In a 2.5gal filtered tank even with the live plants you may want to increase the water changes to twice weekly 50%

If you are not using tap water what water are you using? if it is bottled water I would use dechlorinator with that as well-some bottled water is just filtered tap water that still contains the additives to make it safe to drink...sometimes redness can be caused by these additives in low amounts and soon it can start to effect the gill plates and overall health of the Betta-not to mention the lost minerals from the filtering process that the fish needs for health

What is going on with the pH-you say you change the water based on the pH?...usually the Betta will adapt to your source water pH without issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 
fotografa

The redness on his head just seems to be speckling that joined together into a patch with speckles on his face. But it does streak down into his lower fins. I wish I could take a better picture to show you.

I use filtered water, and occasionally I'll add a third of a full measurement of Betta Bowl Plus to the filtered water, but usually don't. I'll start using it with each change, though.

I was told to change the water if it got above 7.5, I usually keep it around 7.0
Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #4 
bettafish15

He could have marble genes? I hear it's in alot of white bettas.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

The pH really isn't that important as fish can adapt to a less than ideal pH as long as it is consistent. What you should be basing the frequency of your water changes on, is the amount of ammonia and nitrite in your water, which are harmful at levels as low as 0.25ppm.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #6 
fotografa

Marble genes, you say? Can new markings randomly appear?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotografa View Post
Marble genes, you say? Can new markings randomly appear?
New spots of color on some scales is what happens in marbling :) I hear it can happen pretty fast. Mine has marbling, and hes gotten alot of new coloring in the time I've had him, which is only a few months.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote