Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 
kpullen89

Salt Bath Question

I'm treating Rousseau for a couple tears in his fins and have put him in a 1 gallon bowl. I put a pinch of aquarium salt in there last night. I was afraid to put in too much. But I need a refresher on this, should I be putting a teaspoon(or smaller?) of salt in there each day? I think 10 days is the max, right? Then I can put him back into his 5 gallon?
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If it is just tears and not rot I wouldn't use aquarium salt at this point...just clean dechlorinated water and water changes along with a good varied diet...it can take weeks to months to heal all depending on how bad the tear is-what you want to do is prevent any secondary infection and promote healing/re-growth with frequent water changes and find out what caused the tears to start and fix that as well.....

For fin rot-aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment-you make 100% daily water changes with the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days....adding tannins are also helpful if you have any

Pre-mix the salt in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to make water changes and correct dosage easier and you can add the tannins to this treatment water so they can steep.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #3 
kpullen89

Okay, so he'll be fine in his 5 gallon if its just tears? I posted another thread about what happened. Somehow Calypso got through is divider into Rousseau's section and they fought. It was too late for Calypso but Rousseau is looking okay.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you keep him in the 5gal I would make some 25-50% daily water changes for several days and increase the regular water changes by adding in a couple of extra water only for a week or so to keep the water clean to help prevent secondary infection-keep the water temp in the 76-78F range and add an extra feeding during the day to increase intake to promote healing...but not to the point of bloat....
Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #5 
kpullen89

Ok, thanks OFL, I'm writing these tips down as a reminder. I definitely don't want him to get any infection.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #6 
kpullen89

I decided to post these pics because I'm still kinda worried...

Before..

After..

He's been acting normal and he's eating. But these tears look so bad.. will he still make it?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It looks like he may be biting his tail...do you know how he tore them or have you ever seen him bite his tail....any plastic plants?

As long as he is otherwise acting normal and eating okay...clean water and good nutrition- is a good treatment to prevent secondary infection and promote healing, however, if he is a tail biter.....that can be a challenge......

He is a lovely Betta by the way....
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #8 
kpullen89

Thanks, I think he is a beauty. If you read the reply before the last couple ones, I said this happened because of a fight with my other betta. Calypso somehow got between the divider, it was horrible, really upsetting. I also posted a separate thread on betta care about it. He's not a tail biter though, thankfully none of my bettas have had that habit.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Sorry...I read and respond to lots of post.......That explains why his tail looks like it has bite marks....lol....good that he is not a tail biter......he should heal with the clean dechlorinated water and good nutrition none the less.....
Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #10 
kpullen89

It's okay I understand! lol I'll keep up with the water changes and nutrition. I might even post pictures of his healing progress.