Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #1 
baylee767

Question Speeding up a cycle.

This cycle is taking FOREVER.

I have the ammonia at roughly 5 PPM and it's been this way for 2 weeks. The tank is 10 gallons, and I wish some nitrites would show up already.

I don't know anyone with an established freshwater tank, but my dad has an established saltwater tank. I'm guessing I can't seed from his tank though....

I can't buy anything because I have almost no money, and those bottles that supposedly contain bacteria are probably lying since bacteria need oxygen and ammonia sources. Any ideas as to how to speed up this cycle?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #2 
SwimmySwam

Actually, I used Tetra's Safe Start a couple hours ago, and then added my fish after testing the water. I tested it again a couple minutes ago and there was an ideal amount of nitrates and nitrites.

But if you're still skeptical, maybe this link can help.http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
SwimmySwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #3 
baylee767

Eh... does stress zyme work?

I just added some to the water... and according to my dad nitrites should show up in 1 to 2 days. Has anyone had any luck?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #4 
small fry

Are you useing the shrimp method? I think I heard something about that earlier. I have never used this method before, I was just wondering (it migt help the forum if we know what kind of cycle you are doing).

The bacterial supplements have been praised by experts from this forum and Tropical Fish Keeping (the parent site of Bettafish.com). I used a bacterial thing called Stability from Seachem labs, and it helped keep my first cycle (that was overstocked and unplanted) from exceeding 3ppm. That was with me overfeeding, overstocking, and under-water changeing. It was my first tank.

I have heard experts that really understand the product call it bacteria. I don't know if it is or not, but I would be slow to question the experts. You might be right, though.

Good luck on your cycle! It will be over before you know it!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #5 
baylee767

I'm doing the shrimp method.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #6 
soccerdog693

Has anyone had any luck with Nutrafin Cycle?
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #7 
rogue619

Stability seems pretty darn good. Though I have only used it to help recover from a spike, not to actually cycle an aquarium. I have used Nutrafin Cycle, but now I only use a small splash of it in uncycled, unfiltered containers, after water changes. I don't think it's as good as Stability, but I paid like 9 bucks for the bottle and wanted to get rid of it lol. If the small amount of bacteria it has in it, helps to make the ammonia less toxic to the fish until the next water change when I can get rid of it, hey, why not?
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #8 
soccerdog693

It's been a week cycling using Nutrafin Cycle and so far.... NOTHING. :(

BTW, I LOVE your avatar, Rogue. I'm a big star wars fan ;)
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #9 
rogue619

Cool! Always good to meet a fellow Star Wars fan. I think at this point, the only thing I have more of than fish, is Star Wars stuff lol. Been collecting for 30 years. As far as the Nutrfin Cycle goes, I don't think it will help too much. First off, you may have gotten a bottle that's been sitting a long time on the shelf or was mishandled and the bacteria could be worthless. Also, it's actually meant to be more of a fish cycled product. Even with the shrimp method, without any fish in the aquarium, I'm not sure it will do as well...
rogue619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #10 
small fry

I am trying to cycle my sand-substrate 5 gallon tank with snails (and feeding the snails). I don't kow how effective this method is, since I am too lazy to test the water. I am doing lots of water changes, though. It used to have ramshorn, but now it only has MTS.. This probably isn't even cycleing the tank properly, so don't try it and then when it doesn't work say "but small fry said...", because I didn't. That is my story, and I am sticking to it.

I wish I knew more about the shrimp method. I was thinking about useing it myself but it kinda grosses me out, me, loveing shrimp and everything (ghost shrimp).

Good luck cycleing your tank! I recommend useing Stability if you have the extra $10 lying around (where is that extra cash when you need it? lol).
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote