Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #21 
ChicagoPete

I'd have to say my Pixie. Shes a Toy Rat Terrier
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #22 
Feral

Rhodesian Ridgebacks, #1 hands down. Big, loyal, loving, protective hounds who are equally at ease walking for miles or sacked out at your feet.

The best dog I ever had however was an American Pitbull/St. Bernard cross- built like a Pit but WAY too big. That dog would let kittens rough him up and just look at me with this sorrowful expression like 'would you PLEEEEASE get this thing off of me?'
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #23 
LeroyTheBetta

Feral, I also like Rhodesian ridgebacks and that photo is a beautiful one!

I see you're from so. Utah... have you ever been to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab? Great place! Got one of my dogs from there in 2001, and he's 11 years old now.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #24 
Betta Fish Newbie

Huskies! <3 :D
Betta Fish Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #25 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyTheBetta View Post
Feral, I also like Rhodesian ridgebacks and that photo is a beautiful one!

I see you're from so. Utah... have you ever been to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab? Great place! Got one of my dogs from there in 2001, and he's 11 years old now.
YES! Great place indeed, they have/are rehabilitaing several of the Pits Michael Vic didn't quite manage to kill. SO much more than a shelter!
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Pits because some of the gentlest dogs I've known have been these- PEOPLE ruin them, it's not their nature.

And I used to raise Ridgebacks- had 14 adults at one point and could walk them all at once without a leash. What a crew that was
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #26 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
YES! Great place indeed, they have/are rehabilitaing several of the Pits Michael Vic didn't quite manage to kill.
Not sure who Michael Vic is.... *notes to self to do some googling later*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Pits because some of the gentlest dogs I've known have been these- PEOPLE ruin them, it's not their nature.
I agree! Because they are so powerful, they can be very dangerous, although their nature is loyal, playful, and a good companion dog. They are dog aggressive, not people aggressive, by nature..... as they were bred to be fighting dogs in addition to hunting & companion dogs. But unfortunately there are certain people who use this dog in the wrong way and it always ends up terrible for the dog, and many times for a person or people as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 AM   #27 
LeroyTheBetta

Feral, do you think this story is referring to Michael Vic's dogs that you mentioned? I just read this from my facebook page.....
http://news.bestfriends.org/index.cf...A46C1F216DE4E2
Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #28 
LeroyTheBetta

And another great Viktory dogs story out of Best Friends... what a place! Still wish I was living in Las Vegas just so I could go visit there again! (and that Viktory dude should have gotten more time in prison than he did!)

http://news.bestfriends.org/index.cf...357AF618096D96
Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #29 
Feral

Hmmmm- I was unable to link through to the story you indicated, my browser kept stalling, but I'd guess that's one of the Vick (sorry, I misspelled the name above) stories. And I apologize too for assuming you'd know who that was- I tend to think everyone knows the story but then you're in OZ. I'd wager most people in the US are unaware that an area the size of France AND Germany is now underwater in Australia too. I'm as guilty as many of Amerocentric thinking I'm afraid.

In Vicks case, perhaps the 23 months he did was adequate, but what angers me is that the National Football League allowed him to resume his career Totally unconscionable in my eyes and a blot on the NFLs standing. So much for sportsmanship eh?

I'm not at all certain that Pits are even that inherently aggresive with other dogs either- my big boy was perfectly at home with my Ridgebacks with the one exception that when the females came in heat, he would mix it up with the other boys, but then it was every dog for himself and even the male Ridgies got out of control with each other. Nothing like hormones to make a boy crazy! And with people? I came home early one day and saw him (my Pit/Bernard) making nice with the bottled water delivery man UNTIL.... he saw me coming up the drive whereupon he started barking at him like crazy. Guess he felt he'd been caught red pawed in dereliction of duty.

Outside dogs coming on to my property got a uniformly unfriendly reception form ALL my animals, male and female alike, VERY territorial- but three feet outside the fenceline it was all ' Hi! Who are you?' If anything, the Ridgies were more pushy and intimidating than my old boy under those circumstances 'cause they'd treat outsiders like a potential lion.

Around people, they were ALL well mannered and I never had to worry about them hurting someone. I can tell you though that being swarmed by 14 inquisitive 70 to 90 pound dogs caused virtually anyone who didn't know them to proceed with great caution if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyTheBetta View Post
Not sure who Michael Vic is.... *notes to self to do some googling later*.

I agree! Because they are so powerful, they can be very dangerous, although their nature is loyal, playful, and a good companion dog. They are dog aggressive, not people aggressive, by nature..... as they were bred to be fighting dogs in addition to hunting & companion dogs. But unfortunately there are certain people who use this dog in the wrong way and it always ends up terrible for the dog, and many times for a person or people as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #30 
Nutt007

Beagles, Pit Bulls, King Charles Spaniels, Wire Fox Terriers, Chihuahuas, Shi Tzus and Mutts!

Last edited by Nutt007; 01-11-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote