Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #1 
MyBettaLudwig

New and need help :)

Hi! Just got my new betta yesterday, Ludwig...
I researched alot but still am learning...
I know they dont need filter to live, but I do have him in a 2.5 gallon with filter, and a closed lid light of course..
This may seem like a stupid question, but everything I read says to have your betta in a bowl or tank without a lid since they breathe air...(not from water), so question is, will my betta be ok, with the lid on the tank, ?/Are they just talking about people who put them in bowls without a filter??
Im confused..LOL...Also, they need a lid anywat so they dont jump
MyBettaLudwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBettaLudwig View Post
Hi! Just got my new betta yesterday, Ludwig...
I researched alot but still am learning...
I know they dont need filter to live, but I do have him in a 2.5 gallon with filter, and a closed lid light of course..
This may seem like a stupid question, but everything I read says to have your betta in a bowl or tank without a lid since they breathe air...(not from water), so question is, will my betta be ok, with the lid on the tank, ?/Are they just talking about people who put them in bowls without a filter??
Im confused..LOL...Also, they need a lid anywat so they dont jump
They DO breathe air and DO need some sort of lid. Does your lid have any kind of slats, vents, small holes? If so, then its fine, no worries. My lid is solid plastic except for one hole about the size of a quarter.
You don't need a filter, but it can help.
If your lid has no holes, maybe consider getting thinly holed hard mesh? And put it over the top in stead of the lid that had no holes, then put something over it to keep the heat in?
take a pic :B
I you find yourself very unfamiliar, try looking at the care stickies :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #3 
MyBettaLudwig

Answer

yes, in the back of the tank by teh filtering area, there is about a 1 inch space...
Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #4 
RainbowIsland

Your Betta will be perfectly fine in a tank with a lid if the lid has at least one small hole in it so that air can get in. A lid is needed because you don't want anything getting in the tank. A filter is not required but it'll help you keep up with cleaning your tank. I'm new to Bettas too but I've picked up information online that states all of this. Good luck!
RainbowIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #5 
dragonfair

As long as air has a way to get in, you're fine. Lids on a tank/bowl are not necessary - it's a personal choice. But a couple of good reasons for having lids, though, are that a lid keeps them from jumping out (and other things (cats) from getting in) and it can help keep the water warmer. Actually, a lot of people on here don't have them. Check out the "photos of betta homes" sticky thread. I keep lids on my tanks because I like to keep the water levels at the top. If people don't want to have a lid, they just lower the water levels so the fishies can't jump out.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #6 
MyBettaLudwig

Interesting! Thanks for all your replies..So glad my has a little space on the back for air to get in..I jsut assumed as long as I filled the water where I left a space of air between the water and the filter that woudl be ok...
Glad I also see a very small space in the back by the filter...