Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #1 
619Ray

New Betta owner needs advice.

Hi all! I'm new to the whole Betta experience and was looking for some help. I currently have my Betta, which I named Midnight due to him being all black with a streak of dark blue scales, two plecos and two ADFs. They all seem to be getting along, no nipping or bitting thus far. There's three live plants and a wood/log on one side and rock decoration on the other. It's a ten g tank... Sound to overcrowded? Any advice would help thank you. :)
619Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

Plecos usually get VERY big and need to be in a larger tank (I believe it's 20+ gallons?). I would suggest Ottos if you'd like algae eaters. Otherwise, it all sounds good! :D
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #3 
619Ray

Ya, one's a bristlenose and the other is your common placo. So I'm guessing once the placos grow larger I should buy a bigger aquarium?
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #4 
brandonwlee

If you need to house all of them in a crowded tank, just make sure there are lots of plants and hiding place. some plecos may turn aggressive to their tankmates. i've seen plecos sucking on the fins of bettas. so keep an eye on them.
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
leaveittoweaver

I've actually seen oto's be fairly aggressive, I'd stay away from them as well. The pleco will definitely grow too big. You may want to find him a new home with a bigger tank. The bristlenose however should be fine. They don't grow to the same size as a common pleco.
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #6 
619Ray

Question

Another quick question, does it matter if I pre-soak decorations? Ex: wood logs and rocks? Or can they be directly put into the aquarium after purchase?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #7 
dr2b

Oto's are a good option. I've housed otos with my bettas for 2 years now. I've never had an issue. Otos are small, yet clean well. I recommend 3 or more of those.

Wood logs should be boiled and/or soaked to release the tannins so your water doesn't turn brown or yellow. Gravel should be rinsed to rinse off dirt or dust. Everything should be rinsed though... whether it be live plants, fake plants, gravel, or big decorations.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #8 
619Ray

Instead of starting a new thread I'll just add to my original question. I'm kind of worried that my ADF's are not going to be able to eat the food I put in the the bowl. I read that the ADF's eat buy sight. They are always hiding and are not aware of the floating food. Would i have to take them out of the tank and put them in a small bowl everyday so I'm sure that they eat or is there an easier solution to this? Thank you!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You may have to feed them with a turkey baster. ADF's have poor vision and can't see their food very well. You have to put it practically under their noses.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #10 
bloo97

+1 @ DQ.

Not to sound bossy, but I think you may have spelled Dew wrong. But I could be wrong depending on how you inteded to spell it. :P
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote