Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
New to breeding....lots of choices....which do you like? :-)

Hello everyone

So....I've loved Bettas all my life but in the last while I have been fascinated with the different mutations. This of course led me to researching about breeding....I can't say I will for sure ever do it, as I like to research and learn everything I can for some time beforehand, but it's a possibility sometime in the future.

That being said, I want to enjoy the beauty of 'top' Bettas, and I would rather get ones that would be desirable to breed just in case I do decide to do it this Spring/Summer. My husband has even shown interest in looking through them, so I know I have support there. But how do you choose?! I love them all!

I've been glued to Aquabid, and have watched ones I've fallen in love with get bought up. One auction even disappeared so I am sure an outside offer was made. I was so upset!

So I'm going to try and get a couple in the next couple of days and would love to ask your opinions on the following. I seem to love HM Bettas with long flowing tails, and light colors. There are some unique dark ones I love as well. If you have any suggestions of ones you've seen online, or if you have any for sale yourself, please let me know

Am also looking for a turquoise butterfly....saw one long ago with white on the body....would love something like this.

1. This platinum butterfly HM is the one I just bought today! What do you think? What kind of female would you recommend before I ask the seller?

2. This red crystal dragon is one I'm currently working on with a seller, they are just getting back to me concerning a female. What would you recommend? What do you think of him?

------------------
So below are the ones I have not decided on yet. I can only pick two!

3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE long fins, and this guy is just crazy beautiful. Same questions as above....what do you think?

4. I think this one is super cool. Love the color....

5. Not sure how quality this CT is but I find him to be very cool!

6. So awesome and pretty!

7. Love the color shimmer on this guy. Would love to find a pure white like this one with loooong fins!

-----------------------

Below are the ones I missed out on and was pretty sad about. Thoughts on them or does anyone here have a similar one for sale?

A.

B. I was so in love with this guy, I am kicking myself! Listed as a marbled double tail I believe....

C. This to me seemed like an incredible crowntail.

So yes, any thought, opinions, suggestions are welcome. I want to keep my collection very different, though I know I have this thing for light colors and loooonng flowing fins!

Thanks so much in advance
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 
monroe0704

I love almost every fish that the seller of #3 puts out... you'd get great, consistent quality spawn with him since I see very similar fish always posted (stable genetics).

I also find #7's quality to be outstanding! Very crisp halfmoon, no curved edges! He also is very well balanced. The color is unique and you can probably fix it to what you like...

I'm not super experienced, but I do my research too! A lot of things you can fix with time and determination, so pick one thing you really want in your starters... color, finnage, or body?
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #3 
jschristian44

wow those are some amazing looking betta fish. i really liked the first one, but i kept scrolling down and they all looked amazing. i wish my guys tail looked like that, but instead his fins are all narrower and not full like those. is this because its not a quality fish and one from walmart/
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #4 
monroe0704

Being from Walmart you probably got a Veil Tail betta. The ones this guy is looking at are mostly Halfmoon, with a couple Crowntail...
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #5 
fflores

its incredible that, at least when it comes to aquabid, not a single USA breeder has fishes that even come place to comparing to the Thai-based breeders
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #6 
jschristian44

yeah half moon is what i want those fins are amazing. and yeah i got a veil tail.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #7 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
I love almost every fish that the seller of #3 puts out... you'd get great, consistent quality spawn with him since I see very similar fish always posted (stable genetics).

I also find #7's quality to be outstanding! Very crisp halfmoon, no curved edges! He also is very well balanced. The color is unique and you can probably fix it to what you like...

I'm not super experienced, but I do my research too! A lot of things you can fix with time and determination, so pick one thing you really want in your starters... color, finnage, or body?

Heya!

Arg, still trying to decide. I think it's down to the yellow one (yet I hear too long finnage is not good because then it's not classified as HM?)

So, yes, I think I am going with #7 like you said. And now I found a double tail cellophane that I think is PERFECT! What do you what do you you think about #7 and this one then?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #8 
StarSpun

BTW than you Monroe0704, I appreciate your input!
I think I saw you bidding on there for a pretty DT!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #9 
jschristian44

i would pick number 3 or 7.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

I like most of them..not that red double tail though...too veilish. I suggest joining the IBC, reading the standards, and then choosing the fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote