Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #1 
jschristian44

Leon's New Tank!

So after Church this morning I went to pick up Leon's new tank. It is a 10 gallon with a Filter, Heater, and Lid with a light that's broken! Anyways, for 20 dollars I feel I get a pretty good deal considering the heat and the filter are like new. The heater alone would have cost me 20 dollars. Anyways, I know you can make baffle's for the intake, which I am going to need to do. The one that's in there now, it sucks him right up and around it. It's like a whirlwind. How do I make a baffle for mine, since it's different from everyone elses?

jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #2 
bloo97

I have that kind if filter in my tank...How strong is the suction? Does it just cause him to drift towards it or does he get violently sucked up?

Also, the tank looks a little empty. Is it a Work In Progress?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 
jschristian44

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139&page=4

i did that but i used a sock. all it does is stop the waterfall from coming down which is a shame. but it doesnt suck him up anymore, is it still filter though? it seems much louder now too.

as for the tank, yes its a work in progress, im getting some almond leaves and some live plants for it, hopefully mini lettuce leaves or something similar. but this tank is mainly for my breeding purposes. i just stuck in him in there because i was so curious how everything would turn out and i wanted him to have a heater since he didnt have one. but for 20 dollars i think i got a steal. just wish i had the waterfall still. is there any other sort of baffle where i can still have the waterfall?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #4 
jschristian44

i have the heater set at 79 degrees, is this correct?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
i have the heater set at 79 degrees, is this correct?
79 Degrees is a good temp for a betta. Some people say a little lower or higher, but it's good.
I use a sponge cut in half long ways and use a rubber band to keep it around the the output of the filter. It's not completely covering it so I still get a waterfall but it's not as violent as before lol.

Last edited by JD3P; 01-09-2011 at 05:00 PM.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #6 
jschristian44

i used a sock to completely cover it. maybe ill just use one sock so it can still come through...maybe thats why its loud.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #7 
jschristian44

hmm i took teh sock off becuase i think i almost broke it. anyways, he can freely swim now so im not sure if its broken, or if he just knows how to swin better. i still see it kinda sucking him up but not badly. its all silent now except for the waterfall which is music to my ears.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #8 
jschristian44

i guess its working now since the waterfall is coming down. i put my hand at it and i felt a current kind of so i guess its fine. like i said ill prolly leave the tank pretty bare except for a few floating plants and a piece of bubblewrap for spawning. i really like the tank though.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #9 
sjones

If you don't have one try to get a thermometer (2 dollars at walmart) to make sure the temp is correct, you can also use it when you do water changes.
You will have to cycle your tank unless you plan on doing large water changes weekly. If you replace the light be sure to get the florescent kind, the other ones will heat up the tank too much, causing dangerous temperatur fluctations that could kill your fish.
Good work getting the tank set up I'm sure he loves it
Ps. you only need a light if you get live plants ;)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #10 
jschristian44

yeah but i'd be nice to see him as well. also i like stuff complete. if i get the florescent kind, should i get the 15w just like that one it came with? will that be enough light wattage for live lettuce plants. i want live lettuce plants so the male has something else for a bubble nest and so the babies have something to feed from until i feed them baby brine shrimp. or is there an easier floating plant, because i hear lettuce are hard to keep.