Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 
bettabug

Question cheapest filter?

So I would love to be able to put the next betta I get in my large more-than-one-and-a-half-gallon tank, but my mother would never let me unless i can find a good cheap filter that I can buy, which means it cant be too expensive. righth now, I have ABOUT $50 (I cant tell how much is on my visa gift card, but i can guess). If you people know of a good filter that is aboutn that much, please tell me. I dont care what iot is exactly, but as long as i can tell mom it is a filer, i am golden.
bettabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 1.5gal tank-personally I wouldn't use a HOB type filter due to the water flow in a small space that can sometimes cause fin damage-but if I did add any type of filter I would use a small sponge filter-cost with the air pump and airline hose...maybe 10-12 bucks total or a UGF (under gravel filter) if I did not have or plan to have any live rooted plants-not sure what they would cost-but to guess-I would think less than $15.00 and a bit more for the air pump and air line hose/tubing
The only filtration I use in my small Betta tanks are live plants.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #3 
bettabug

thanks for the tip! i also saw a bubble...something(some machine thing especially for fish tanks) that was only 5 bucks @ the local animal shelter's thrift store!
bettabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

I have a number of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2611wt_781

and LOVE them. I don't use all the extra air stuff, just the filter itself. 100% submersible, adjustable flow and adjustable direction and it's good for 1 - 13 gallons (depending on the flow rate). And QUIET!!! :)

This is the only place I have ever seen them and have had multiple dealings with that seller and have always been very happy!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #5 
JD3P

Unfortunately filters are not cheap to purchase..your best bet is to look around in all the stores and compare. Not sure what size tank you're looking to get, but if you go to petsmart or petco.com you can see the different filters they have. You can get one for about $17.00 for up to a 20 gallon tank there. http://www.petco.com/product/102601/...r-Filters.aspx
If you want a filter for a small tank there is always this: http://www.petco.com/product/12147/P...ilter-Kit.aspx
But for the price comparison and quality I'd go with the bigger one and try to get a 5 or 10 gallon tank. It will probably last you longer and you'll be able to upgrade your tank and still use the same filter.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote