Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #1 
Tasha

Exclamation Help me please, My fish is very sick!

My Betta Darwin has been sick for over a month now. I have had him for almost two years, and was purchased at a pet store. I do a complete water change every 4-5 days, he lives in a 1 gallon fish bowl, and I use the appropriate amount of water conditioner. I feed him less than a pinch of freeze dried blood worms every day. I live in a high rise apartment building, and I am afraid the water is too cold, as I do not use a heater.

Lately, he has become discoloured (brownish/ slightly green on the head), his fins appear shriveled, he lays on the bottom all the time, and barely moves. He does not eat anything that I can see lately.
There are some pictures below,
anything you can tell me about what might be wrong with him, and what I should do would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  IMAG0071.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0073.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0074.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  112.8 KB
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 
vaygirl

They really do need a heater. You could get him a Kritter Keeper which is similar to the bowl you keep him in, but is big enough to hold a 25 watt, adjustable heater safely (I think the large size is something close to 3 gallons). He does seem kind of thin. Freeze dried bloodworms have very little nutritional value. I'd get him some pellet food made for bettas. He should have a couple pellets in the morning and a couple at night. But, heat first, then a diet change. When they're cold, their metabolism slows down and they get lethargic anyway. His temp should be between 76 and 80. I keep my bettas at 80.

I'd also make his water changes on day 4 all the time instead of waiting for day 5. I keep a notebook by my tanks and log all my fish doings so I don't lose track. It helps a LOT.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 
fishman12

Yeah, vaygirl is right. You need a heater kept at 78-80 degrees fareinhiet or 26 degrees celcius.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote