amandag3001

Question Somthing's wrong with my New Fish

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? nobody else - I might get a snail.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets, Betta Flakes, Freeze dried Blood Worms (This is food I feed my other Betta's. I have yet to feed this new fish)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 50% every 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap Water Conditioner. Removes Chlorine and breaks the Chloramine Bond

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No, not yet.
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The same
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? When I put her in her new Bowl, she can't swim right. It seems that she is too buoyant and cannot remain horizontal in the water.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? As soon as I released her into the Bowl.
Have you started treating your fish? Sorta If so, how? Fasting to see if it helps. I think it might be her swim bladder?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Brand new fish.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ? I have heard Betta's at the pet store are anywhere from 6months - 1 year. She seems to be full grown.

I have taken a few pictures in the hopes that someone might have an idea what to do to help her. If she cannot swim correctly, what are her chances of surviving being bred? Is she going to even live very long like this?

Here she is floating at the top of the water. This seems to be the most comfortable position for her.

Here are 2 pictures of her trying to swim. She cannot swim horizontal, just vertical. Her tail is always above her head. Once she stops swimming, she floats to the surface of the water.

Thank you for your time and help.
amandag3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #2 
Colibri

For what you're saying, I think she has some issues with her swim bladder. She's looking a little bloated and I would also say maybe she has a cold. Fasting is a good idea, but you could also use some Epsom salt to help her (1tsp per gallon). Put her tank/bowl on a warm spot of your house so the air the she breathes is warm, not cold because a high temperature change between water and air can cause some problems to the fish. If it's genetic, fish with SBD can live a happy life. One thing you could to is putting some decor on her tank to help her "anchor" to the bottom of the tank. Good luck!

Last edited by Colibri; 01-02-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #3 
amandag3001

I have aquarium salt. Can I use this instead of epsom salt?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #4 
Colibri

No, I wouldn't advice you that because they're complete different kind of salts used for different kind of problems. Aquarium salt is good for bacteria, parasites and fungus, while Epsom salt is used for swelling and bloating issues and it's really a great treatment for the swim bladder disorder when it happens. A 10 day treatment with DAILY water changes will help.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #5 
amandag3001

Thank you so much! I will go pick some up today and see if she get's any better.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #6 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandag3001 View Post
Thank you so much! I will go pick some up today and see if she get's any better.
Don't bother going to the fish store...

Epsom salt is used as a 'Bathe Salt' you can get it cheaply at probably any normal store... I recommend Walgreens.

It's solving Drax's bad eye issue that I assumed was permanent.

As for will she live long? ... If it's just SBD and you treat it... I don't see why she wouldn't live a normal life haha

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-02-2011 at 02:10 PM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #7 
amandag3001

Okey Dokey - I went to the Dollar store down the street and picked up some epsom salt for cheap. I'm going to start a 10 day treatment tonight. Daily water changes, and a 2/3 day fast. She has a good spot in the kitchen, with some fake grass and a castle to hide in. Hope she'll be okay soon. Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

If she doesn't improve she could have a deformed swim bladder due to genetic causes or trauma during growth. If she doesn't improve I would definitely forget about breeding just in case it is a genetic issue.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 
amandag3001

I think she's going to be A-OK. She's swimming more like a normal Betta today. And she can stay horizontal in the water now. I'm going to continue the Epsom salt treatment, and feed her some pre-soaked pellets on Wednesday morning. She sure seems a lot more happy today!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #10 
amandag3001

Just wanted to post a follow-up. Sophie is doing great. I'd say a complete recovery. She is very active now - always swimming to the side of her bowl when anyone walks by. Totally Happy fish THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED!!!