Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #1 
KerryF

Betta in 1-gallon Tank

This is my first question:
I've read that the smallest tank advisable for one Betta is 2.5 gallons. I am being gifted a 1-gallon tank with gravel and filter and plants and Betta food, not sure about a heater. I read that it's difficult to properly heat a 1-gallon tank because it's hard to regulate a small volume of water. My house gets cold in the winter. I'm assuming that the fish that lived in the tank is no longer with us, but I didn't ask what happened.

Maybe I should not get a Betta and get something else instead? I'm open. Thanks very much for the advice.

KerryF
KerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #2 
shinybetta

The only thing that go in that tank is a shrimp. You could do a betta but you need a heater and lots of water changes. I would get a 2.5 gallon and a betta. They are so much fun.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #3 
KerryF

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
The only thing that go in that tank is a shrimp. You could do a betta but you need a heater and lots of water changes. I would get a 2.5 gallon and a betta. They are so much fun.
Thanks, shinybetta. That's what I'm thinking may've been the problem with the Betta that isn't coming with the tank. Too small of an environment, disease, temperature issues.

Perhaps I can find someone who would like the 1-gal tank for a pair of hermit crabs.

KerryF
Old 01-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #4 
Adastra

Actually, a tank that size would be grossly inappropriate for land hermit crabs. Land hermit crabs need lots of space to roam, and some species get quite big. They also need substrate deep enough to burrow into when the time comes for them to molt. They also need access to water both fresh water and salt water deep enough to submerge in, and they as well as consistent heat and humidity. Humidity is very important for hermit crabs because they breathe through modified gills that are very sensitive to dry air.

Lots of shops sell these poor crabs as if they can tolerate anything, and need no space or care, but they actually have a laundry list of very specific needs that can be difficult for someone who is just looking for a low-maintenance pet (if there is such a thing).

Unfortunately, 1 gallon containers just aren't suitable for animals to live in all the time. It's terrible that companies manufacture garbage like this, but really that is all it is. Garbage. It has no use. :( Maybe you can keep pencils in it, or something.

Last edited by Adastra; 01-04-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 
KerryF

Maybe it'd make a good isolation tank for somebody with small fish. I'll just have to wait for more appropriate housing to come along. Thanks.

KerryF
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #6 
Adastra

Oh, if you need something in the meantime, a great solution is to get a couple of rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bins. They're safe for fish and safe to use with heaters, plus they're super easy to clean. A 2 or 4 gallon container is only about $3 at WalMart or Target, so once you're done you could toss it out if you wanted. You might have one sitting around the house already--just give it a good rinse in hot water first.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 
KerryF

Ha! I never would've thought of Sterlite or Rubbermaid containers! I'm not in a hurry. I need to find out what kind of Betta I'd like, first. My home is rustic and I want one that's hardy as well as beautiful. I want to be able to properly care for him.

I often hear of fish tanks being discarded when students leave college, and I also subscribe to Freecycle.com in my area, so I'll keep an eye open for something appropriate.

Thanks!

KerryF
Old 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 
elijahfeathers

I'd honestly keep the 1gallon. I need to go out and buy one that size myself to use should my fish ever get sick and need meds. Better to have a 1 gallon to make measurements for than medication 10 gallons of water in my case. Also, if anything happens to your bigger tank you've got something to hold you fish in.

Also also, could be cute for growing a plant it. 8D
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #9 
shinybetta

Betta splendens are one of the hardiest. They are the ones you find in pet stores. I keep my fish in a 10 gallon rubbermaid container I got for 5$
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

I think a 1 gallon might be a good QT tank or something. I always have an extra tank or two for QT or hospital. :D
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote