Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #1 
baylee767

Unhappy Cycling troubles

Somebody help...

I feel like something is going wrong. The ammonia is at roughly 5 PPM. Nitrites and nitrates are at 0, as they hav been for over 2 weeks now. Why wont my nitrites start showing up??? I added stress zyme in hope that it would do something a few days ago, but so far nothing. And now I'm worried I messed up the tanks progress, because I got my plants today and was shifting the gravel like crazy trying to plant them, and the water fogged as if there was some sort of bacteria in the gravel What's going on? I'm doing the cocktail shrimp method.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
Tomsk

Just googled it:
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Zyme at PETCO

Quote: "Breaks down organic compounds that cause dangerous conditions such as ammonia and nitrite poisoning".

Has it killed off your nitrates?
With enough live plants,it's possible to negate the need to cycle a tank,but this wouldnt effect your water parameters within hours.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #3 
jessiepbg

I don't know any specifics, but I've been told Stresszyme will mess up a cycle.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #4 
meeka

Ive never heard of stresszyme but I have successfully used:

Sera Bio Nitrivec - Its a live culture and you have to keep it in the fridge.
and another good one is

Sechem Stability

Good luck!
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #5 
baylee767

So now I can't cycle my tank? )= I knew it. I never got nitrites and it's the stupid stress stuff that lies and says it has the bacteria.

No 10 gallon tank then? Becuase I don't have enough time to restart a cycle. Help me please I can'tbelieve the tank I waited months for is useless )=
Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #6 
Malvolti

In my experience most additives that say they "help cycling" either do nothing or do the opposite. Many contain terrestrial forms of the bacteria which will live just long enough to use up your nitrites and nitrates and then drown. This means no food for the aquatic bacteria.

Also a lot of cycling bacteria do live in the upper layers of your substrate and when it is disturbed it can cause them to die off. As long as they are established in other places in your tank though it shouldn't set you back TOO far. The bacteria live on most surfaces in the tank, the filter, the glass, the substrate, decorations. Killing off a few in one place will still leave them in other places.

My sugestion is to keep at it, the addition of plants should help the process along. If you run out of time you can continue as a fish-in cycle and use something like Prime that binds ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to make them less toxic for your fish but still eddible for the bacteria. You just need to be more vigilent in your water testing and be always ready to make small changes where needed.

In most cases with a 10 gallon, since you almost never do 100% changes, it will cycle itself over time. You've already given it a head start.

Remember, you don't NEED a cycled tank, it just helps a lot. Give it time, be patient and it will happen.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #7 
baylee767

Right now I really feel like fish in cycling...

It wouldn't be too hard. Maybe 50% twice a week water changes. And in 2 months it should be cycled. I'm just SUPER impatient to get fish in this tank.

according to my dad if my tank doesn't get anything by the 1st I can do a fish-in cycle. I don't really care about the method so long as it cycles...
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #8 
meeka

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Right now I really feel like fish in cycling...

It wouldn't be too hard. Maybe 50% twice a week water changes. And in 2 months it should be cycled. I'm just SUPER impatient to get fish in this tank.

according to my dad if my tank doesn't get anything by the 1st I can do a fish-in cycle. I don't really care about the method so long as it cycles...
I did that with my first tank and it was hard work.
Twice daily water changes and daily testing. It took forever. I was getting up so early to do it coz I work full time too.

My fish stressed and I stressed more LOL

I understand how desperately you want to put fish in.
Your doing well.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote