Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #11 
soccerdog693

If you have any 24hr stores near you, you could try to run out and buy the essentials for overnight - water conditioner and maybe aquarium salt if they look like they may have some time of infection (velvet, ich, etc). But probably the best you can do for right now is keep them in separate, clean containers with water from their original tank, and run out first thing tomorrow to get what you need.

Sorry, I don't know a lot about this type of thing :( Take comfort in knowing that the have a better chance with you know than they did in a dirty leaking aquarium.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #12 
JD3P

Okay so here's my suggestion for right now...since you need to separate the male and female you're gonna need two tanks...but since you only have $20 that's going to be hard. Your best bet is to check walmart or the pet store for critter keepers. They have a lid on them, and in the future you can put heaters in them. Put the male in one and the female and glofish in the other. If you notice her picking on the glofish, try it in the male tank. You should also try walmart for some aquarium salt which they will need, it's much cheaper there. You should dose them according to the size of the critter keepers. There's directions on the back. In the future you're going to want to get heaters for the tanks. But for now keep them in the warmest room of your house. You should also try to get a thermometer for the tanks, and some water dechlorinator. Good luck.

Last edited by JD3P; 01-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #13 
Sweeda88

Walmart sells 1 gallon Kritter Keepers for $5.33 each, at least at the one near me. You can get water conditioner (I use Jungle Start Right) for under $3.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #14 
sjones

all you need right now is some fresh tap water and some dechlorinator water conditioner and three of those disposable plastic drinking cups (solo) sepearate all three fish, put them in dechlorinated water that is the same temperature as the water they are in now. make sure the temperature is the same, if it varies too greatly the fish will go into shock and die.

There is a ton of info on here on how to proceed from there, you could even buy tupperware containers to keep them in for a while.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #15 
bloo97

Like I said, If you don't have another tank, you can use seperate dinner bowls. That would be good.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #16 
RainbowIsland

I went in search for the plastic cups in our cabinet that you can throw out and came back to find the Female Betta and Glofish dead. It may seem impossible but they are swimming in a new world that's danger free. I disposed of the poor darlings and took back the materials that I had grabbed then remembered that I may have a spare tank. I went to our breezeway and there was a Betta Starter Kit Size 1. I cleaned it up and placed the remaining Male Betta inside. He seems to be enjoying himself. I wish I could've saved his friends but the torture from their last owner was too great for them.
RainbowIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #17 
bloo97

I'm sorry.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #18 
RainbowIsland

I wasn't too attached but it's a shame it ended that way. I guess all I can do is resume taking care of Achernar.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #19 
soccerdog693

I'm sorry, too. :( You did the best you could and gave them a chance, at least. Good luck the boy!
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #20 
RainbowIsland

Achernar is going to be his name because it's the name of a constellation and it means "end of the river" in a language I'm not sure of. He seems to be quite active now that he's slept in a clean tank overnight and had some food. I think it's a good sign. I'm curious about this tank I have him in. It's a Bernie's Cove for Betta Deluxe Betta Kit. It says size 1 but I don't know if I should assume that what they mean by size 1 is that it's a 1 gallon tank. I looked up 1 Gallon Fish Tank in google images and those looked like the size of mine. I'm going to assume that this is a 1 gallon tank. The reason I ask is so that I don't cram him in a space that makes him uncomfortable.