Old 01-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #11 
jschristian44

i have tanks yes.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #12 
jschristian44

i want to try this method:

-The "Fishless Cycle" Using Shrimp

This method is similar to the fish food method but instead of fish food, we supply ammonia using raw shrimp from the seafood section of the grocery store. One medium sized shrimp for every 20 or 30 gallons of water will decay and provide a steady flow of ammonia into the tank. The benefit to using shrimp vs. fish food is that you can put the shrimp into some sort of mesh bag (filter media bags or pantyhose work great) so that the waste can be removed easily at the end of the cycle. Using shrimp also provides a nice steady, even flow of ammonia, something that can be hard to accomplish using only fish food. The steps to the cycle itself are the same as described above. This is likely the easiest method of cycling a tank as all you have to do is add the shrimp, test the water parameters from time to time, remove the shrimp at the end of the cycle and do a water change and you're all set.

once the shrimp is taken out, what do they mean by water change? just a normal 50 percent water change? this seems to be the easiest method for me. ill just put Leon back into his 2.5 gallon tank while i do this. where do i get the nitrate meter and whatnot?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #13 
Jupiter

You don't need live plants to cycle, no. They do help the process a bit though.

Just a regular water change to clean up the water-I imagine it must be pretty funky with all the old shrimp and whatnot. Don't do 100% change, though, or you'll risk losing the cycle.

Testing kits should be available at any pet store. The API liquid kit is quite good, though it's a bit expensive. It looks like this.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #14 
Cravenne

It takes a while to cycle. If you've ordered new fish, you likely won't have cycled tanks for them by the time they arrive.

You can buy test kits at your pet store. They sell both drop kits and strip tests. Drops are a lot more accurate and tend to last longer. Just follow the instructions on the box to complete the water test.
If you purchase the strips, you'll need to buy a seperate ammonia test.
The important parameters to test are ammonia, which will spike first....Nitrite, which spikes once ammonia reads zero....and then Nitrates, which show up when the cycle is complete.
Sometimes this process takes 6 weeks..just be prepared for that.

Good luck :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #15 
jschristian44

what about this kit?

http://www.amazon.com/pH-Control-Kit...4670810&sr=8-3
Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #16 
soccerdog693

Hmm... never heard of that brand... It's good to know your pH, but I've never gotten those drops to work to adjust pH. Usually your water will have a certain amount of buffering capacity that keeps the pH stable. And you don't want to send fishies into shock from changing their pH too quickly.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is a great brand.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #17 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I did a fish-in cycle with my first two girls, I don't see why it's a problem.

Very nice fish OP! Though...if you don't want to breed, you really don't have to...
Well the OP based on his questions is just starting out on the hobby as he didn't even have a tank until a day or two ago. If I was in his shoes I woulda bred two cheap betta's to figure things out as opposed to a 27 dollar male, but that's me, lol

I think he's going a bit fast as well... but hey it's his $$$$

Last edited by scootshoot; 01-10-2011 at 11:44 AM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #18 
jschristian44

males can breed more than once right? can females breed more than once? i got a cheap male already and i hear females breed more than once. can i breed a female with the cheap male and when i got things down right i can breed with the expensive one?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #19 
jschristian44

here is my plan.

10 gallon tank with filter in it. im gonna get a lot of live plants, floating, and sinking ones at the local shop. those plants are gonna feed my ph levels. i got a squidward hiding place for the female, i got the heater in there, i got a thermometer, i got the mini filter. all i need now is the female betta. here is my list i just bought:

http://image71.webshots.com/171/6/33...6shjgmr_fs.jpg
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #20 
soccerdog693

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
I think he's going a bit fast as well... but hey it's his $$$$
Agreed. jschristian, if you don't have the $40 to buy test kits (as you said in another thread) how do you plan to pay for all the other stuff needed for breeding?
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote