Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #1 
kholder

Unbelievable, I'm in shock...

I cannot help but stop and check on each creature in each of my tanks everytime I pass by. With one in the dining room and one in the living room, this is often.

As I was passing by the 5 gal. in the livingroom, I didn't see Ted, only the two ghost shrimp. It's kind of happened before, but within a few seconds he pops his head out of his cave thingy. This time he didn't. Everything was pulled out of the tank, the filter was dumped in case he may have been in there. No Ted.

My fish is gone. The tank has a lid (it's the 5 gal. Wal-Mart tank). There is an opening in the back where the filter fits snuggly into. I cannot for the life of me figure out how he got out. He's not on the table, behind the table or under the table. I have dogs.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #2 
jschristian44

hah this happened to me before. i got a grow a tadpole set when i was a kid. it grew into a frog and somehow got out. i think my parents released it though. they were like, it grew into a frog and hopped away. i looked everywhere in my room. but as for a fish, thats wierd.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #3 
soccerdog693

ACK! I'm so sorry :( I freak out every time I walk by my tank I don't immediately see Xander. Did you check the hood to make sure he didn't jump up and get stuck up there?

I would say I hope you find him, but there's probably not too much hope for a fish that jumps out of there tank. :(

I'm sorry - that's awful
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #4 
RainbowIsland

My friend had bought herself a gorgeous King Betta that somehow jumped out of her tank and passed away. I wish I could give you advice but the only thing I can tell you is that there's not much hope for a fish out of water.
RainbowIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 
bettacharlie

Really sorry. Just so I know to avoid those tanks... is there really enough room between the filter and the lid for him to have squeezed through?
bettacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #6 
Kpoo97

Maybe the shrimp got to him. You never know.

Or he turned invisible and flew away.

I'm sorry for your loss. I really am. Maybe he buried himself in the rocks of your tank. It could be possible but unlikely.
Kpoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #7 
dragonfair

I'm so sorry about that! Did you ever find him? My Maximus did the same disappearing act. Guess where I found him... he wiggled under a fake rock formation and got inside thru a hole in the bottom. Unbelievable!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacharlie View Post
Really sorry. Just so I know to avoid those tanks... is there really enough room between the filter and the lid for him to have squeezed through?
This is a RARE occurence and there is nothing wrong with those tanks - I own three of them and LOVE them!!!

SO sorry about your fish.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #9 
JD3P

That's really strange...I've had fish jump out of my tanks before and sometimes they wiggle so far from the tank it seems almost impossible. I would say just keep looking in the general area and a little farther, although you say you have dogs so it is a possibility they might have found him first =/ Sorry
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

That can be so frustrating.....I had one jump through a dime size hole once and I had one jump and I found him stuck to the wall behind the curtains....its amazing what these guys can do sometimes......hope you find him and if not...sorry for your loss.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote