Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #1 
baylee767

Post I seeded my tank... I think....

For 3 weeks the ammonia was at 5 and everything else was at 0 in my 10 gallon tank. My dad finally got frustrated and took me to my local fish store (That sells WILD Bettas!!!!) And bought a bunch of Anarchis from a tank with all healthy looking fish. Since bacteria live on every surface, according to him this plant will have the necessary bacteria on it.

We drive home and he says "Don't wash it off, we don't want to kill off the bacteria" Oh how I wish I could. The minute we get home he slices the bag open and drops it into my tank.

A few minutes later I shout "You introduced a SNAIL to my tank!" My parents insist I try to keep it alive and put it in Neons tank. It's a itty bitty brown snail.

So, knowing what would happen, I put it in his tank, and it gets eaten instantly since it looked like a pellet. Now I'm hoping this Anarchis will seed the tank and not introduce anything else.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I dont think you seed your tank unless your putting established media in your filter... I think you might have gotten dirty petstore water into your tank for nothing D: The plant'll come in handy though :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #3 
Kestrel

I don't really know a lot about cycling but I would think that would help. Transferring things from my old tank seemed to really jump start my 10 gal.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I dont think you seed your tank unless your putting established media in your filter... I think you might have gotten dirty petstore water into your tank for nothing D: The plant'll come in handy though :D
These tanks are cycled at my LFS. And bacteria lives on every surface, so I'm pretty sure that will help. At least that's what I'm hoping Lol.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #5 
baylee767

Guess what? I came home today... and there were like 8 snails >.> 0 nitrites... STILL...