Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Question Female With Velvet or Fungal Infection?

The female I just bought yesterday, and was doing fine then, now has white patches growing on her body. Her fins are clamped down as well and has loss color. She was fine and bright the day I got her, though she did battle out with one of my other females. I am thinking she got over stressed from all the new things going on. I was reading on symptoms here:

http://bettachat181.webs.com/bettadiseases.htm

I think it is one of the two, Fungal or Velvet, witch velvet is a fungal anyway.

Right now she is in her own jar and being treated with Mardel CopperSafe.
Also added a little salt. I will see how she does in a few days.

Anything else I should know that would help? And where to get things cause Petsmart and Petco only have so much, sadly.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #2 
Martinismommy

If she does have velvet make sure and keep her away from your other fish....Don't use the same net........Another thing that helps get rid of velvet is keeping them in a dark place.....Velvet thrives on light.....Copper safe is the proper treatment for velvet..

Good luck, I hope she gets better soon.....
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

I had betta with velvet long time ago i treated him with Aquarium salt and Maracide. And he recovered. The only thing i used it longer then instructions tell u to do.

I was thinking if Copper safe doesn't help then Maracide might be helpful.

The symptoms were exactly like that site u posted described.

Good luck.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinismommy View Post
If she does have velvet make sure and keep her away from your other fish....Don't use the same net........Another thing that helps get rid of velvet is keeping them in a dark place.....Velvet thrives on light.....Copper safe is the proper treatment for velvet..

Good luck, I hope she gets better soon.....
Thank you so much! I will keep everyone reading updated. SHe is in a dark place. Is it ok to use the aquarium salt? I only put about half a "t" spoon in.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #5 
Martinismommy

I would be using salt with the coppersafe.....Maybe next water change don't add the salt.....

Have you taken a flash light to her and see if she has a gold dust on her?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM   #6 
lilchiwolf

GAH! Now my red male VT has the same thing >.<. My 10 gal is divided and me, being stupid when I took the sick female out, put him in the same side when I was moving fish around. So guessing that side is bad, or it would of been the net cause, stupid me again, used the same net to scoop him out >.<

So now he is being treated for the same thing. I treated the whole tank today just in case and will do some water changes. My other two males are not showing any signs thank god. The one thing I worry about when treating the tank is the snail. Most meds say to not use on snails. What do I do with him? Is it ok to put him in a cup for now?

Please help!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #7 
Martinismommy

In a divided tank if one gets sick the entire tank does...One of the down sides to divided tanks..

Yes, the snail will be fine in a cup for a few days..Just keep a lid on it and give him a small amount of food...
Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #8 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinismommy View Post
In a divided tank if one gets sick the entire tank does...One of the down sides to divided tanks..

Yes, the snail will be fine in a cup for a few days..Just keep a lid on it and give him a small amount of food...
Ok, will do! Also will keep updating on their recovery.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #9 
lilchiwolf

UPDATE: The female has started to get a little better. Her fins as still clamped, but her color is returning and some of the fungus seems to be falling off. Still not eating.

The male is doing better to. He did not have it as bad. He is eating.

I blame the female for starting it and my net for caring it, and my self for being dumb and using the same net >.< XD
Old 01-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #10 
lilchiwolf

I am sad to say I lost my female VT to the Velvet. She was young and it just took over like a plague. I did what I could to treat her and it seemed like it was helping, but she was too far gone.

My VT Red male is looking good. He still has two white puff patches, but they are very small now and he is eating and swimming. Keep giving him hope!

I will be taking the body of my female back to Petsmart and getting a new female. Lets hope this one will be better.