Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #1 
Ajones108

Serious Issue With Heaters

I have two tanks: A 5 gallon with a 25W Hydor Theo and a 10 gallon with a 50W Hydor Theo.

My 5 gallon normally stays at about 84-86 degrees with my heater set to around... well, 71 now. It's been at about 76. I kept an eye on it for awhile and the fish, making sure he wasn't stressed. Every so often it would creep up to 88 and I would turn off the tank light and let it be since he was still very active. As of a few minutes ago, my tank was running 90 degrees. I'm getting quite irritated at this point. I cupped him and placed him by the 10g uncertain of what to do.

As for my 10 gallon, it has been running hot as well, about 82-84 when the heater is also set to 76.

I really, really, really, REALLY need reviews on new heaters. I've got to replace these ASAP and I'm wondering what everyone else is using.

Advice appreciated! I don't know what I'm going to do with this fish, probably just let him lurk in cooler waters for a few days.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 
Ajones108

Bump. You mean no one here has a heater they like and recommend? :(
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #3 
Bettas143

Is it really hot at florida right know? Because that sometime causes the the temptogo up. when its hot outside and you tank is in a heater, the heat would definetly go up. I think you should lower it a little bit more.
Bettas143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #4 
dr2b

I gave up on Hydor Theo's.. I recommend Marineland Visi Therm or Marineland Stealth Pro. Both are great heaters. I do still have those Hydor heaters as backups. But when I used them, I had to set them really low because they ran hot. Many other members have always suggested the two heaters I mentioned above also.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #5 
Ajones108

Florida is not hot. Lol. Just cause its January doesn't mean its 40 out. My house normally stays at about 72 degrees so my hydors stay at 80. But they've been very wonky the past several weeks. I've had them turned down to 76 and normally when the temp in the tank is met, the heater does not turn on. :/

My boyfriend did point out that it is about 77 in the house right now so I unplugged both of my heaters and my tanks are staying at 78. My poor red fish that was cooking at 90 is actually in a smaller tank right now that I put him in to get him out of the heat. He'll be back in his 5g soon now that it's cooled off.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #6 
dr2b

Get a bag and put ice in it and stick it in the tank. It will cool it faster.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #7 
vaygirl

I have the marineland stealths for almost all my tanks. They're all fine and have been for the year or so I've had them. They stay within a degree or two of what they're set at.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #8 
dragonfair

I have Penplax Cascade 25 watt heaters in my 3 gal tanks but I wouldn't recommend them. I have to keep them set high (89-90) to keep my tank temps at 79-80. But then, my house temp is 65 degrees. They were the only ones I could find in my area at the time, though, and I've learned how to work with them.

I don't have any recommendations for 25 watt heaters except what everyone else says... marineland stealths.

I really like the Aqueon 50 watt heaters. They put them in the 10-gal deluxe aquarium kits at Petco. They've always worked wonderfully for me.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #9 
shinybetta

The tetra whisper heater works well. Cheap to.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #10 
Neelie

i have marineland too and they are quite decent.
also have aquaone heaters that are bigger but also good.

as for the right temp, it takes trial and error tbh, set the heater to 80, water will be slightly cooler. imo the set temps are not very accurate.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote