Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #1 
DazzleKitty

Worried about my bettas

I just set up my new 15 gallon tank and divided it three ways. I let it filter for a while and heat up to about 78 degrees with my new heater so they'd be comfy when I put them in. I put in the water conditioner chemicals and some of the other chemicals that came with it and followed instructions.

My bettas were in smaller containers and fairly active with no heaters. Especially one of them. He's my first one I got - my bright red crowntail named Mr. K. He is my favorite one. He was previously in a 2.5 gallon tank with no heater or filter but very happy. He loved to eat and swim up the side of the tank and look at me or follow my finger around. But ever since I put him in the new tank yesterday morning, he's been very inactive. He's just laying at the bottom of the tank and not moving much unless I stick my hand in the tank. I am not sure if this is normal behavior.

My other betta, Bubbles, has always been inactive but I've noticed he's a bit more active in his new home.

Now, the third betta, Mr. T, has always seemed quite unhappy and is always unmoving and unhiding. He was in a 1.75 gallon bowl. But he's made a huge turnaround in this tank. He's the move active and is darting around often. He always likes to chill at the top of the water and he's been doing that too. But I was surprised to see him really active lately.

I'm really worried about them all, though. They all seem to be really inactive and lazy in the new tank for the most part. The tank has much better conditions that their previous homes so I thought it'd be an automatic great improvement.

None of them seem to have an interest in eating either. That really scares me about Mr. K because he tends to be a big of a pig when it comes to food.

Do you think they are just unsettled still and that's why they are so quiet?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #2 
DazzleKitty

bumping this....I'm really worried and desperate for help.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #3 
Sweeda88

Did you acclimate them properly? How long have they been in the new tank? Also, is your tank done cycling? If not, the water quality could still be unsafe.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 AM   #4 
DazzleKitty

I thought it was cycled. At least, by my mom's definition. It's been about ten years since she's owned a tank and maybe she doesn't remember it right. But she used to be hardcore. I heard you need to let it run for about 24 hours before they could be put in, and I did that. Also, I thought the water quality would be the same since I have been using the same water source from when they were in their separate tanks/bowls.

Maybe I need to look even more into the whole cycling thing. I read up a bit but am intimidated. I figured the tank would be a lot better than the cold water they were sitting in that would constantly fluctuate with the temperatures in our house.

But I do appreciate your help. I'm super paranoid right how. Thanks for the response! What would you recommend I do?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #5 
Sweeda88

You need to cycle it for a week or two, until the ammonia and nitrates and nitrites are at the right levels. There's a sticky about it.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:48 AM   #6 
baylee767

Yes it needs to be cycled. Cycling is when the bacteria forms that'll help to get rid of all the fish poo, ammonia, Etc...

And since you just put them in and the ammonia isn't high yet, maybe they are just adjusting. It can take a couple of weeks for them to begin being normal sometimes when adjusting, and this usually happens with Bettas. So long as they were acclimated correctly and have lots of hiding places and the filter flow isn't too strong and they can't see eachother, they should come over it soon.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #7 
Cravenne

If you just put them in, not having a cycled tank wouldn't matter...right away. If the temp is good and you acclimated them properly, they are likely just settling in.

Read up on cycling. If you understand the basics, you'll feel more comfortable with it. It will end up happening on it's own anyway but in a nice sized tank like yours, cycling is definitely the way to go. You can leave the fish in while you do it...just purchase a water test kit that shows Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Or...take a water sample into your LFS a few times a week and they will often check it for free. (If you have the money, I'd advise purchasing your own)

If you know anyone with an established tank, you could 'borrow' some substrate or filter media from them and that would kickstart the process a great deal.
I'm sure someone on this forum would help you out if you lived close enough to pick some up.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #8 
DazzleKitty

Thanks for the help and encouragement, guys. I'll look into getting a water testing kit.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:03 AM   #9 
sjones

what "other chemicals" do you mean?
How do you plan to do the needed 100% water changes with a 15 gallon uncylcled tank twice a week?
I would take them out and keep them in your critter keepers until you get your tank properly cycled, it can take about month to do it.
A fish in cycle can kill your fish especially if you don't have a test kit to test the water every day.
If you don't have a test kit (which is about 34$ at petco) it will be impossible to tell when the ammonia is high and you could kill all your fish.
I know it sounds dramatic, but it is, and a lot of people on here don't understand the need to cycle your tank before using it, especially a large one where it is hard to make 100% water changes.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I recommend cycling anything 5 gallons or larger.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote