Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #1 
Duncan13

Swim Bladder Disorder on Old Betta

So, I think one of my older bettas has SBD. The thing is, I'm not sure, because I skipped a meal the day before and I never feed them too much. All the conditions in the tank have been the same. I noticed when I came home from school today that he has been floating on the top of the tank sideways. He tries to swim back down but he just floats back up. After about 1 hour hes given up trying to swim down and now hes just floating on the top. If this is SBD can it be fatal on an old betta? And how can I cure it?
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #2 
Duncan13

Please help me. Hes getting worse. Its been going on for a while now, but still no improvent. Sometimes he swims around alittle, but most of the time hes on his side. Please help mee!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #3 
vaygirl

When Tango (who is also older) had SBD I had success using Kanaplex. You can get it online. It's an antibiotic. Is he eating at all?

Also, does he have anything he can rest on? When Tango was sick he rested on the heater brackets at the top of the tank or on his wisteria plant. I think that helped. If your guy doesn't have anything, you could lower his water level to accommodate.

Last edited by vaygirl; 01-12-2011 at 12:26 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella.....I would do the Epsom salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes for 2 days and then on day 3 increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal along with the 100% daily water changes for 7 more days while in a small QT that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp.

I like to pre-mix my treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt and tannins from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea....add one of these to the treatment water and let steep for at least an hour before you use it-the longer it steeps the more tannins are released the darker the water the better the Betta likes it....shake well before use......
Use this treatment water for the 100% daily water changes-this helps make water changes and correct dosage of Epsom salt easier too.
Also cover the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ

Be sure to equalize water temp as well with the pre-mixed treatment water and QT fish water so not to cause temp related shock issues.

Good luck and keep us posted....sometimes with older Bettas all you can do is keep them comfy...how old is he?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #5 
Duncan13

Thanks you guys so much, I will try what you said. I fed him a little, and he eats. I lowered the water height to about how long he is. He has leaves to rest on too. He is acting a little bit better, hes resting on his side less and I found a tiny bubblenest on the side of the tank :D. I think he is 3- 4 years old. I've had him for almost 2 years, and when I got him, I think he was over 1 year old.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #6 
BlueBetta17

I have an older betta dealing with swim bladder myself right now. If you are still around - how did it go?
BlueBetta17 is offline   Reply With Quote