Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 04:48 AM   #1 
Atolon

Tips?

As I posted in a previous thread, I've only had my first betta Midnight for a few hours. Turns out the Betta starter kit I bought him brings a tank, which is only 1/2 Gallons, and has a little fake tree. I've noticed he loves hiding in between the branches, and even sleeps on them. He hasn't laid down around the bottom of the tank, but as I look at him now, he is. I'm wondering if its just for now or if its a problem?

I wanted to know if you guys know maybe websites where I can purchase items for him for low cost. Maybe a larger tank/Heater/filter kit recommendation? The tanks at my local PetCo start at $150, money I can spend like that right now.

I'll post a picture so you guys can see his living environment.
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #2 
Atolon

I'm thinking about buying a Hawkeye 5 Gal tank from Walmart at $27. IT seems like a great tank!
Hawkeye 5 gallon Tank:
  • Full Hood, Compact Fluorescent Light, Power Filter and Cartridge included.
  • Attractive semi-hexagon shaped aquarium
  • Acrylic construction offers leak proof durability
  • Fluorescent hood illuminates the tank

Sounds like a good buy?

I've been wanting a betta since I saw them at walmart, but decided to get mine from PetCo because I figured maybe they are a little better taken care of! I purchased mine for $4.99, but have no idea what breed he is.

Thank for your input in advance! I'm very excited in my purchase of my Midnight, and excited to buy him a nice bigger housing!
Old 01-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #3 
Atolon

As for his heater, I'm looking at a Tetra submersible heater from walmart as well for $15.

50-watts
Designed for aquariums up to 10 gallons
Electronic thermostat keeps water temperature at a constant 78 degrees Fahrenheit
Easy to use
Model: HT10
Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #4 
Cravenne

Sounds great!! He'll enjoy the added space, for sure. 5G is a great amount of space for him!!

Just make sure to read and follow the instructions on the heater. Some of them are really picky.

Congrats :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #5 
sjones

The tank and heater sound good, you can also pick up a termometer at walmart for $2

I just bought, and am now cycling a walmart ten gallon.

In the 1/2 gallon you have now, due to the small size, you should do a 100percent water change every day. be sure to use waterconditioner and make sure the water temp is the same as the water he is currently in(here's where a thermometer comes in handy)

It will probably take a month for your tank to cycle so in the meantime you could buy a 2 gallon steralite container from walmart as temporary housing (2 gallons or larger) these are like $6 or something. That way you could put the heater in there and keep the fish warm while you cycle. But...you might need a heater in the tank you are cycling as well..

you can read about cycling here:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
you will also need to buy a freshwater test kit to cycle http://www.petguys.com/-317163010340...hannelid=FROOG

If you don't feel up to cycling just yet you could buy a 5 gallon critter keeper and do 100% waterchages in it once a week (with a partial during the week) They are about $15

Last edited by sjones; 01-10-2011 at 07:38 AM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #6 
Atolon

Ah, Thank you for your tips. I was thinking about how I needed a thermometer as well!

As for the cycling, is that necessary? If it is, what is the purpose behind it?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #7 
Atolon

This is him!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #8 
sjones

Cycling is absolutely necessary- please read the link I posted for information on why and how
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #9 
shinybetta

Cycling isn't necessary. It just helps by making you do less water changes.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #10 
Atolon

I've read the tips, but to be honest I don't understand the steps and explanations. Maybe I'll go over it again.
If I cycle my new tank, how long will it take?