Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #11 
Atolon

So I'm reading reviews on the website about the tank, and everyone loves it. Their only concern was it the filter current being too strong and needed to baffle it. How can do I that?
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #12 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Cycling isn't necessary. It just helps by making you do less water changes.
In a filtered tank it IS necessary, If you promote the idea that it is not then people will be buying tanks, throwing in fish and wondering why they die within a week. There is no point having a filtered tank if it is not cycled, you may as well just have an unfiltered tank and do water changes.

I'm know it's not your intention, but be aware of this when giving advice to people, especially when they are new betta owners, trying to become properly educated on the correct way to care for their pets.

As I said previously, if you choose not to cycle your tank you will need to do water changes on a five gallon 100% every week and a possible partial change during the week. In my opinion if you are going to do that it would be easier and cheaper to just get an XL kritter keeper instead.

Last edited by sjones; 01-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #13 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atolon View Post
I've read the tips, but to be honest I don't understand the steps and explanations. Maybe I'll go over it again.
If I cycle my new tank, how long will it take?
I agree it is confusing at first, however if you go over it again and decide to do it and get the proper equiptment you can always post a thread on here asking for help, also you can look at old threads from people who are cycling aquariums, it's a great way to learn.
I've read that cycling can take a month. more or less, i am currently cycling my first tank and it has been only 5 days..it seems like forever!

There are ways to baffle the filter, but I'm not sure how, I have seen some threads on here about how to do that as well
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #14 
Atolon

If I decide to buy a female beta, will I be able to keep them together?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #15 
Atolon

When I buy the 5 Gal tank, if I wanted to use actual plants instead of plastic, Where would I find them?
Also, is there any benefit to real plants versus fake?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #16 
dragonfair

I agree with shinybetta. I have two 10 gallon filtered tanks that are uncycled. My fishies are fine.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #17 
bettafish15

Males and females cannot go together, even WITH a divider :) In a 5g, you dont have many options for tankmates besides snails and ghost shrimp ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #18 
dragonfair

As for baffling, you can do it more than one way. There is a sticky thread on here about step by step filter baffling with a plastic water bottle. Also, you can rubberband or ziptie aquarium sponges to your intake valve and/or your outflow. Really effective.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #19 
Atolon

So if I decide to buy a ghost shrimp, where can I find those? How many do you recommend for a 5 Gal tank? How do I maintain those?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #20 
luvem

Hi Atalon. I have a 5 gal. Fluval Chi and my betta's tankmates are 2 peppered cory catfish. They will only grow to be 2 inches long. They are extremely fun to watch. Right now, they are all playing "tag". The betta chases the corys and the corys leap frog all around. It's great!
luvem is offline   Reply With Quote