Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #1 
BettasForever

Talking New Betta Fish Help Please! :)

Hello betta lovers! I just got my new betta last night, and he's doing lovely. I would just like to post my betta's conditions to see if you guys can come up with anything else he might need:

I'm using Zephyrhills spring water, he seems to like it more than tap with chlorine neutralizer. (A better way to say it is, the last betta I had died because of the chlorine neutralizer. Nothing was wrong with him, but when we put the neutralizer in, let it sit for 24 hours, put him back in, and he just seemed to... float to the top and not breathe... )

I have a 5.31 pound bowl

I have no heater, he is kept in a room that is usually warm, and if it's not, I move him.

I have Topfin Betta Color enhancing bits for food

I use these plastic crystal rocks

I have a little plastic plants so he can hide, but I made sure the edges weren't sharp before I bought it. (I don't want any torn fins.)

I also need some names for him! He's my avatar so could you give him a look and suggest some names?

Thanks so much!
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #2 
Crazykat

Hey, welcome to the forum!
For your first betta, did you slowly acclimate him to the tap water? If you just take them from their cup and put them in the new water, then they can get pH shock and die. I ask because using tap water is way cheaper than bottled water. Alternatively, maybe you could test your tap water for ammonia or get it done at your local pet store. Completely up to you though, if you feel better about using bottled water that's fine.

Generally, a 2 gallon container is recommended for bettas. I'm not sure if you meant 5.31 liter bowl? If it is, then it is a 1.4 gallons and you should be doing water changes every day so that ammonia doesn't build up and kill your betta.

It might be better to get a cheap heater than to move him from room to room. Temperature fluctuation can be dangerous for fish. Temp should always be between 75-82 degrees.

You're betta is gorgeous! I'm jealous. I'm really bad at names. Uhh, how about Cerulean? Or Aquarius?
Good luck with your fish!
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #3 
BettasForever

Thanks soo much! I just stocked up on water and it's not really a problem because it's so cheap but I will indeed checking out the filter and the heater.

Thanks so much! He's a pet store rescue, one of those ones that looks like he's dead, but you bring him home, put him in a bowl, and he's fine! :)
Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #4 
darkangel216

Name him Chester! :D I dunno why, but it was the first name that popped into my head when I looked at his picture. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #5 
BettasForever

really cute name! Ill think about it!