Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #1 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Question How to do a tank cycle?

I was reading bits and pieces of how to cycle an aquarium and i still dont really understand it.
I have 2 bettas that will be comming in from thiland and it should take a couple weeks ( shipments to australia only happen every 3-4 weeks and i havent been updated on when the next shipment is, and then it will be in qurantine for another 7 days) and the 2 tanks i bought are i think 15 or 20 liters glass tanks ( there pretty bloody big lol) and there going to be to big for me to be able to just up and dump out the water for changes, so im looking into this cycle process but is there anyway to speed up a cycle ect? Like i cant get the tanks till next weekend due to funds so there on layby, so by then ill prob have 2-3 weeks to cycle before this fish come. I dont think i can convice my husband to pay 50 bucks on a test kit ect so what do i do about that aswell. And to have a cycled tank is this an ok filter to use
http://www.aquariumsupermarket.com.au/10-aqua-one-.html
i got 2 of those cause there weak and wont cause stress on the bettas.
But yea any explantions on how to speed up the process ect would be helpful.
Aswell what kind of fish would be safe to put in with a betta casue i read you should do fish cycles to speed it up so if i got a fish for this i would want it to be ok to live with my future betta ( but i dont want nipping at fins ect) so info on that would help heaps! Thanks soo much in advance.

Last edited by Sherleelee; 01-19-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #2 
demonr6

Although it does not seem terribly hard, it can get tricky. I think the easiest thing to do is find a friend that has an established tank and see if you can get some gravel etc to seed your new tank with the beneficial bacteria. Else I would go with the ammonia route adding it using the step-by-step method you have probably read up on. I would skip the add a dead shrimp or live fish cycle. There really isn't a shortcut method to this. I am sure someone else with more experience will offer their opinion or tips.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #3 
HarleyRigid

Check out Walstad. Have not tried it myself but seriously considering it. Very few water changes...

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

See what you think

Last edited by HarleyRigid; 01-19-2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fish compatibility, how to