Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #1 
vaygirl

Tango won't gain any weight?

Okay guys, I can NOT get weight on him at all. Does anyone have any suggestions? He's active, he's eating 5 or 6 bloodworms a day or 5 to 6 Atison's pellets a day but he still looks like a giant head on a skeleton and I can see straight through him. I have jungle anti parasite tabs on hand. I've never seen stringy poo but then I've never seen ANY poo. Or should I just up his feeding? Any help or ideas would be great.

For background, he was suffering from really bad SBD in October and he seemed to be losing a LOT of weight. He was off food. He was sick and just sitting on his heater for about two weeks with me doing daily water changes, hoping he would spring back. On week three I started him on Kanaplex and he got better immediately after the second treatment. But the weight never came back.

He's in a 5 gallon, filtered, cycled, heated to 80. He gets a 25% water change every third day. He's got many, many live plants. He's active, patrolling and flaring pretty much all day long.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would increase his food intake- you want to increase a little on the amount but feed him 5-6 times a day in small amounts-more varied the better....fresh, live and frozen...but don't feed until he is bloated.... his tummy should look round and full...but not bloated....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #3 
vaygirl

Okay, I'll try that. I'm here all day so it should be too hard to manage. I don't have access to live food but I can get all types of frozen food here and he likes it. I'll pick up some mysis shrimp too. I have some in the freezer but it's almost a year old. :/

This spring I'll pick your brain on mosquito larvae raising. :D Thanks OFL!

The old guy is coming up on his 2 and a half year birthday in February. I want him to bounce back into health!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote