Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #1 
ParisRose

Do you see pineconing?

Okay I don't trust my eyes whatsoever and I don't want to treat anything that's not there so I've come to you fine folks. In the pic below do you see pineconing. It'd be very mild if it's even there. This isn't very urgent but I'm kinda scared because he's been losing his color off and on. Oh and lately he won't flare. He's in a 10 gal all by himself with a tetra whisper filter. There's a heater. (top fin 50 watt but it's working nicely) All of his plants are silk. He also has a nice little cup to hide in. I treat the water with prime and do 10-20 [depending on how much water has evaporated] percent water changes. (take him out, violently swish the gravel, change water put him back in) He eats 1-2 pellets in the morning and 1-2 pellets in the afternoon with some brine shrimp on one of those feedings with a fasting day every wednesday. He seems quite active. Could the color loss be due to the fact that I didn't change the filter for a few months because of ignorance? Please excuse how everything looks red. He's just in a red cup.
Thanks Guys! =)
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

He doesn't look pine-coned to me..usually the body will be swollen as well....how is his over all behavior...any changes?
What is the water temp
Color changes can sometimes be a form of communication and normal.
How big are the pellets-you may need to feed him more and vary the diet-he looks thin to me but that may be the pic.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #3 
ParisRose

Lately he was a little lethargic. Though I think that could've been to the filter thing because he's picked up a lot. They're about the size of his eye. They're the top fin kind. I usually soak them in water before I give them to him. The temp gets quite warm sometimes. 87 I think was the highest usually 85 to 87, though today it's at 80 because of the cold probably.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

He's not pineconing, but he looks EXTREMELY thin to me!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Be careful with your temp...although 87F is in the high normal range for them....those drops with room temp changes can really stress them setting him up for other health problems, I would try and keep the water temp 80F at the highest and stable...... a few degrees higher or lower is usually not a problem with healthy fish- but it can be problematic with sick, weak, stressed or older Bettas

You may want to increase the feeding to 3-4 times a day 2-3 pellets and even better adding some different foods either live or frozen and try to get some weight on him....nutrition is an important part of their overall health and building a strong immune response.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #6 
ChicagoPete

I always thought pineconing was when the scales started to flair outword and their head becomes a crusty white shade. I cant say I see this with him.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #7 
Kiku

I have to agree with what other people were saying, the second I saw the picture I though "ANOREXIC FISH!!"
XD but he doesn't seem to be pineconing
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #8 
ParisRose

Would anyone be so kind as to send me a picture of a non anorexic fish. I suppose I took the "do not overfeed" warning a little too strong.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #9 
Kiku

That fishy looks about normal to me :3
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote