Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Anyone want to help me decide which females to get for these males? :-)

Hey everyone!

First off, I have a post about my choosing males here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=59426

That being said, I have purchases three already (which I MAY be breeding this spring/summer if I feel I am up to it after a LOT more research).

It has been established that I have a serious thing for rose tails, but I have been made aware of the problems breeding them will cause. That being said, I am looking for females that will complement these guys and will be asking the sellers I got them from for the matching females. If I have a choice of color and finnage, then I will let them know but thought I'd run it by everyone else to see their opinion.

Ok onto the three males

1. Mustard Gas HM - unique color eh! - Interbettas on Aquabid

2. Platinum Butterfly HM - Interbettas on Aquabid

3. Red Crystal Dragon - NiceBettas.com

I still have to decide on a 4th, but am joining the IBC before I decide, unless I see something I really like first. I seem to lean more towards the light colored bettas (looking for a white or cellophane next maybe?) except for in the last one, he is just WILD!

That being said, I would love to come out with something unique having to do with the light colored variety but I also love butterflies, so I am guessing #2 works out for that. So for example what kind of female would I need to look for to get say, a turquoise butterfly? Is it possible? Can you get them with a lot of white on the body then the blue part, and then the white on the outside?

Let me know what you think the options are or what you would do with these three

Thanks so much in advance!!

Back to researching for me....
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #2 
monroe0704

It'd be cool if you got to choose the females! Whenever I'd ask for a sibling female with the male, they'd pick one out for me... however, she was still great quality.
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #3 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
It'd be cool if you got to choose the females! Whenever I'd ask for a sibling female with the male, they'd pick one out for me... however, she was still great quality.

Ok good, I guess I will trust their opinion then?
I caved in and bought a 4th. It's the exact kind I was looking for!

A beautiful white!

I love that little streak of red on his front fin! Eeeee!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #4 
monroe0704

Oooo so well balanced! His caudal appears slightly rosetail-ish ;) hopefully he'll breed well though! And yes, once you decide to breed, it's a slippery slope with buying bettas hahaha. I have forced myself to be done though and work with what I have. At least with fry we always get a new interesting fish that we don't have! :D
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 
StarSpun

Quote:
Oooo so well balanced! His caudal appears slightly rosetail-ish ;) hopefully he'll breed well though! And yes, once you decide to breed, it's a slippery slope with buying bettas hahaha. I have forced myself to be done though and work with what I have. At least with fry we always get a new interesting fish that we don't have! :D

You like him? I just saw him and was like, OMG, no doubt, he's mine like, NOW! He is a bit rose-ish, tee hee! I really have a thing for those. Speaking of which:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1294753533

I saw this one after. I got mine for half of the bid it's at now, and I'm sure this one is going up. Sooooo rose-ish. I love mine though, but if he was never posted I would have been all over this guy!

So how do you stop buying, seriously? I am limited to 4 now, but in the spring....may be a different story. Ugh.

And that's a cool way to think of it....with all those babies....oh I'd be hopeless deciding....

Did you manage to win that beautiful double tail? I think I saw him in one of your latest posts....
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #6 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSpun View Post
You like him? I just saw him and was like, OMG, no doubt, he's mine like, NOW! He is a bit rose-ish, tee hee! I really have a thing for those. Speaking of which:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1294753533

I saw this one after. I got mine for half of the bid it's at now, and I'm sure this one is going up. Sooooo rose-ish. I love mine though, but if he was never posted I would have been all over this guy!

So how do you stop buying, seriously? I am limited to 4 now, but in the spring....may be a different story. Ugh.

And that's a cool way to think of it....with all those babies....oh I'd be hopeless deciding....

Did you manage to win that beautiful double tail? I think I saw him in one of your latest posts....
Naw I haven't technically won him yet, but I'm going to be the high bidder lol. No one else has bid on him though, so I'm not worried.

Small world! One of the bidders on that betta you just found is another forum member, martinismommy hah.

I actually almost got a Walmart betta today hah, he was a copper CT that just looked pretty... but I have my breeding goals clearly defined, and I forced myself to buy only what I needed to line breed those goals.. I'm done for now having two pair in each of the directions I want to go. You can see them all (minus two female pics) in that mentor thread I posted.

Check out line breeding at some point: http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=896
It really helps clean up your lines so that they're genetically sound, plus it's a good excuse to get 4 bettas for each direction you're going! ;)
Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #7 
StarSpun

Quote:
Naw I haven't technically won him yet, but I'm going to be the high bidder lol. No one else has bid on him though, so I'm not worried.

Small world! One of the bidders on that betta you just found is another forum member, martinismommy hah.

I actually almost got a Walmart betta today hah, he was a copper CT that just looked pretty... but I have my breeding goals clearly defined, and I forced myself to buy only what I needed to line breed those goals.. I'm done for now having two pair in each of the directions I want to go. You can see them all (minus two female pics) in that mentor thread I posted.

Check out line breeding at some point: http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=896
It really helps clean up your lines so that they're genetically sound, plus it's a good excuse to get 4 bettas for each direction you're going! ;)
Cool, good luck with the auction!

Small world indeed! I noticed her bidding, recognized her name as a really good breeder that frequents the boards. That fish must be pretty sweet then....

Awww a Walmart betta....I feel your pain! I always see ones I love at places like those. Dang petsmart! Well....you could always get him as a nice, er, pet
Sorry, I'm no help at all....!

Going to check out that post again to see your fishes....

Thanks for the link to that article. VERY cool, and very interesting. I had to read it more than twice though, whew! A lot to take in.

Once I explain it to my hubby he is going to insist I have one direction....heh heh! Ok honey, ok....

:D
Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #8 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSpun View Post
Thanks for the link to that article. VERY cool, and very interesting. I had to read it more than twice though, whew! A lot to take in.

Once I explain it to my hubby he is going to insist I have one direction....heh heh! Ok honey, ok....

:D
It was fairly intense! I still don't have the formula down hah.

My hubby use to put up a fight, but then we decided he can add leopard geckos to his pets if I get bettas :) plus he's deployed right now, so I need the hobby ;)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #9 
StarSpun

Quote:
It was fairly intense! I still don't have the formula down hah.

My hubby use to put up a fight, but then we decided he can add leopard geckos to his pets if I get bettas :) plus he's deployed right now, so I need the hobby ;)

Ahhh, I wish my husband would put up a fight like that! He LOVES animals, but we have such a zoo here now (a really high maintainence adorable himilayan cat, a cockatiel, a bearded dragon, hermit crabs, and a cute little tailbiting store bought betta), but while he loves 'em, he's like, gaaah no more! I am just so thankful he's into Bettas like me. I wish he'd fight to get another animal and make a deal like yours did

Where is your hubby stationed? That must be so tough....good to have a great hobby like this. Oh boy if my husband went away for even a week, he'd come home to a farm, or a even a city zoo....hee hee!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #10 
StarSpun

Ohhh BTW, they sent pics of the females I would be getting. I don't know much about females but I believe in the other post someone said to get ones with a more straight edge tail, which these do not....wonder if that is a problem? They are so very pretty....but I do notice the curved edges to the tail....

For my white boy:

For my red crystal dragon boy:

What do you think?

Edit: Actually, maybe these ones are good for matching with the rosetails because they do not have as much tail, I remember reading that too!

Last edited by StarSpun; 01-11-2011 at 11:09 AM.