Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #11 
monroe0704

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSpun View Post

Where is your hubby stationed? That must be so tough....good to have a great hobby like this. Oh boy if my husband went away for even a week, he'd come home to a farm, or a even a city zoo....hee hee!
He's off in Iraq.. not gonna go in to more detail than that. And yes, we have a farm too! 2 cats, lots 'o bettas, thumbnail dart frogs, community tank full of platys and guppies, and a daughter hahaha. We are giving our community tank fish to my parents and converting the 55 gallon in to his desert terrarium.

As for the girls... I actually think the white girl looks pretty good. She's not full 180, but I think that'd work for your benefit in the rosetail issue. She does have pretty sharp edges though! Her anal is a little long in the back... but you can pick the best fry to spawn back with the daddy for better finnage. I don't know if I like the female for the red crystal, but then again I personally wouldn't breed that guy. However, I guarantee you that people would love to buy the fry for pets! So if you find homes for the fry and want to keep some yourself, then go for it, who cares about absolute perfect finnage! My plakats are prob not going to bed show quality, but I know people will want them. :)

Oh gosh once you read through the standards for show bettas you'll be blown away. It's so intense! I thought my plakats were pretty decent, but apparently not.... haha. Just goes to show you that there can be a high demand for the betta, but it's not an ideal specimen..
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #12 
Martinismommy

Beautiful choices you made....I LOVE the #1 MG male and of course the white on Aquabid.....I actually bid on that male......He is a supurb white! Your girls are real pretty too! Good luck with all of them....
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #13 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinismommy View Post
Beautiful choices you made....I LOVE the #1 MG male and of course the white on Aquabid.....I actually bid on that male......He is a supurb white! Your girls are real pretty too! Good luck with all of them....

Hey Martinismommy! I have heard so many good things about you, nice to meet ya Thanks for the kind words. I didn't go for the white you went for (he is soooo lovely!) I got another one, the one I pictured....just love him!

What is your opinion on the whole rose tail thing? Curious

I'm so excited to get these beauties in the mail....hope they make it alright....
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #14 
Martinismommy

I saw the white male you bought he is lovely.....As far as the rosetail goes I do not breed them....If I get a rosetail in a spawn it is sold.......I like a nice tight caudal with smooth edges......
Martinismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #15 
monroe0704

Quote:

I'm so excited to get these beauties in the mail....hope they make it alright....
I hope they do too! I lost one after a couple days... :(
Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #16 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
He's off in Iraq.. not gonna go in to more detail than that. And yes, we have a farm too! 2 cats, lots 'o bettas, thumbnail dart frogs, community tank full of platys and guppies, and a daughter hahaha. We are giving our community tank fish to my parents and converting the 55 gallon in to his desert terrarium.

As for the girls... I actually think the white girl looks pretty good. She's not full 180, but I think that'd work for your benefit in the rosetail issue. She does have pretty sharp edges though! Her anal is a little long in the back... but you can pick the best fry to spawn back with the daddy for better finnage. I don't know if I like the female for the red crystal, but then again I personally wouldn't breed that guy. However, I guarantee you that people would love to buy the fry for pets! So if you find homes for the fry and want to keep some yourself, then go for it, who cares about absolute perfect finnage! My plakats are prob not going to bed show quality, but I know people will want them. :)

Oh gosh once you read through the standards for show bettas you'll be blown away. It's so intense! I thought my plakats were pretty decent, but apparently not.... haha. Just goes to show you that there can be a high demand for the betta, but it's not an ideal specimen..

First off, I thank you for your husbands service!!

Secondly, awww I'm jealous, you have a farm! That massive desert terrarium sounds like a DREAM! I used to have about 50 hermit crabs in a 70 gallon with humidifiers, filtered ponds, the works. It was such a conversation piece when people came over. I loved it, I would sit for hours watching those crabs. Sadly I had to give it to a good friend from a hermit crab forum when my hubby and I set out on an RV full time and sold everything else and got rid of the condo! Well, she certainly felt lucky, I can tell you....ha ha! I just recently got another studio condo for my new mineral makeup biz which is why I am looking into this hobby. I have room now, yay! Still RVing but for half the year we'll be back in Toronto where the condo is, and when we take off, my childhood friend (who got me INTO Bettas years ago) is going to look after everything while we're gone. Works out nice!

Thank you so much with your opinion on the females. You notice things I don't....! I don't know if I will breed the dragon or not, but figured to get the female just in case, ya know? What don't you like about her, or is it just that you wouldn't try with the male?

I really have to join the IBC soon. Just had to make sure I had enough in my paypal account which I haven't used for ages....so I can pay for my new friends before their shipping date on the 13th! Then I can worry about setting up that account again.

Your plakets are gorgeous BTW. Such colors! I do really love your blue marbled guys though....I really love DTs....I would love to get one in the spring....
Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #17 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinismommy View Post
I saw the white male you bought he is lovely.....As far as the rosetail goes I do not breed them....If I get a rosetail in a spawn it is sold.......I like a nice tight caudal with smooth edges......

Thanks so much for your opinion! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #18 
monroe0704

Quote:

Thank you so much with your opinion on the females. You notice things I don't....! I don't know if I will breed the dragon or not, but figured to get the female just in case, ya know? What don't you like about her, or is it just that you wouldn't try with the male?

I really have to join the IBC soon. Just had to make sure I had enough in my paypal account which I haven't used for ages....so I can pay for my new friends before their shipping date on the 13th! Then I can worry about setting up that account again.

Your plakets are gorgeous BTW. Such colors! I do really love your blue marbled guys though....I really love DTs....I would love to get one in the spring....
The female just doesn't have ideal finnage.. but really it's not a big deal if they aren't showing. Plus she'd look great in a sorority! Who knows, she may not affect the fry that much with her proportions. It's a gamble!

I know what you mean about paypal. I cracked open an account I made in college haha... barely remembered my info!

Thanks for the compliments on the bettas :) I am in love with DTs above all else! They are much more active and don't sacrifice big flowy fins for it! I would just breed DTs if there was more interest in them, but plakats are all the rage now hah.

We'll have to keep each other in the breeding loop, I'd love to get some fry from your white pair!! AND I'll prob have some great DTs too ;)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #19 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
The female just doesn't have ideal finnage.. but really it's not a big deal if they aren't showing. Plus she'd look great in a sorority! Who knows, she may not affect the fry that much with her proportions. It's a gamble!

I know what you mean about paypal. I cracked open an account I made in college haha... barely remembered my info!

Thanks for the compliments on the bettas :) I am in love with DTs above all else! They are much more active and don't sacrifice big flowy fins for it! I would just breed DTs if there was more interest in them, but plakats are all the rage now hah.

We'll have to keep each other in the breeding loop, I'd love to get some fry from your white pair!! AND I'll prob have some great DTs too ;)

I agree with you on the DT. I think they are fabulous. I was never really into Plakets, oh long flowing fins have won me over....

I am so sad I don't have a DT yet!

Ok, I think that's a great idea for a trade! Can't WAIT to see your DT spawn!!!! :D I loooove the blue marbled too! So gorgeous.

We must keep in touch
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #20 
MrVampire181

I love the white male but the red is a no-no. Nice fins though.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote