Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #1 
Kpoo97

Can I have a review on this tank kit?

I'm hoping to get the Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium kit. Can someone let me know how good this tank is? That tank is large and fits in my budget of $25.
Kpoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #2 
jschristian44

i heard good things about the kit, but honestly i still feel its too small to house 2 betta in if your getting the divided one. if you get the 5 gallon one it should be fine, but dont house 2 betta in the smaller 2.5 gallon ones. especially a male/female. a male/male might be alright. never house a male/female.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #3 
bettafish15

What size are you getting? 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon? I've heard good things about the tank kit, but you may have the baffle the filter, so I'd read up on that here in the forum :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #4 
Crazykat

I got the 2.5 gallon version of this. It's smaller than you think. I thought my fish looked cramped, even with just himself in there, so I would not suggest putting 2 bettas in there. Like bettafish15 said, the filter may need to be baffled. The food that comes with it is not betta food, and I would suggest buying some Prime instead of the water conditioner that comes with it. Other than that, it's a nice little tank in my opinion. If you're interested, I believe Petsmart has a ten gallon kit for $25. I think it's a Tetra. I'm not finding it on their site, but I got one from the store. Shop around, larger tanks are often the same cost as smaller ones and there may be sales in stores that are not listed on their websites. Good luck!
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #5 
Meg215

I'm not sure if its at all Petcos right now but they are having a $1 per gallon tank sale so you could get a nice glass 10 G for $10 bucks. Just throwing that out there.

As for the Mini Bow....I've had both a 1G and a 2.5G....The filter is good but will suck bettas fins into it and rip them. I had a tail biter who loved to get his fins sucked into it on purpose...LOL but it still tore my other 'normal' betta's fins too. The 1G is pointless I ended up getting rid of it. 2.5 is nice but definitely only good for 1 betta.

Umm.....hope that helps? :)
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #6 
fflores

I have a 2.5 gal

I left the filter running and tried to baffle the flow with the fake plants, but it still had enough current to make sushi not move as much as before. Half way thru today i unplugged the filter and 10 minutes later he was as active as ever before.

I did notice something though, and it might be something i have to keep track of, but the water temp hit 80-82, hotter then it had before. I think it had to do with having the light on. I unplugged the heater that i bought and left the light on and the temp stayed around 78-80 for the rest of the day. I have a fairly draft office which prior to today had kept my temps on the lower scale of what is alright for a betta. When i left for the day, i turned off the light and turned the filter back on. Tomorrow i'll check the temp when i get in, and if its steady, i'll turn on the light and unplug the heater and see how things go for the day.

I will probably turn the filter on from time to time to clean the water, but not leave it on all the time.
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 
Meg215

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflores View Post
I have a 2.5 gal

I left the filter running and tried to baffle the flow with the fake plants, but it still had enough current to make sushi not move as much as before. Half way thru today i unplugged the filter and 10 minutes later he was as active as ever before.

I did notice something though, and it might be something i have to keep track of, but the water temp hit 80-82, hotter then it had before. I think it had to do with having the light on. I unplugged the heater that i bought and left the light on and the temp stayed around 78-80 for the rest of the day. I have a fairly draft office which prior to today had kept my temps on the lower scale of what is alright for a betta. When i left for the day, i turned off the light and turned the filter back on. Tomorrow i'll check the temp when i get in, and if its steady, i'll turn on the light and unplug the heater and see how things go for the day.

I will probably turn the filter on from time to time to clean the water, but not leave it on all the time.
I have the same heater in my 2.5 and I cant keep the heater and light on at the same time because it gets too hot. So I do what you said, have the light on during the day with no heater and at night when I turn the light off I turn the heater on. Seems to work good and always keeps the temp steady throughout the day.
Meg215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #8 
soccerdog693

I have the 2.5 and love it. My boy is pretty small so he fits in it pretty well. I'd love to get him something bigger but I'm in a dorm. Just ditch the food and conditioner. I found the filter was a bit strong for my betta, so I put a foam pre-filter around the intake and put a tall plant under the output. Now he's as happy as a little clam.

soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #9 
fredythefish

i have the 5 gallon and i love it. the filter is strong, you just have to baffle it.
fredythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #10 
bloo97

I have a 2.5 too. Dragon is in it now. :)

Love it!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote