Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #1 
kneeena

very new at this !

okay today i bought a new crownfish betta, and a 2.5 tank, when should i be able to put my new fish in the new tank ? i already filled the tank and put some conditioner in it as directed. i feel stupid asking this. smh
kneeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

Do you have a heater? He needs a heater and a filter is really great too, but as long as you do plenty of water changes he should be okay.
With a filter, you'd have to let your tank cycle, which cna be harmful to your fish, but with frequent water changes and testing the water, and using Prime (A water conditioner that helps detoxify the harmful things),
then he should do okay too.
For putting him in his home, keep him floating in his cup for 30 minutes to an hour for the temperature to slowly level. Then you can add him.

Crowntails are very pretty bettas, they are one of my favorites. :D
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #3 
kneeena

no heater or filter ! but i will get them soon, just starting out ! hah. the new tank has been sitting for about an hour. you think it's okay to put the betta in their now ?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Check your water temp-this is important-along with the heater you need a good thermometer

With new fish that are new to your source water it is important to acclimate them to not just the temp but to the source water too by adding small amounts of the tank water to the fish over about 20-30 min-don't add any of the pet shop fish water to the tank-pour some of the pet shop water out and add some tank water and repeat-watch the fish for tolerance to your source water-once you have acclimated him to your source water-net him and place him in the new tank and top off with fresh dechlorinated like temp water....

Look forward to pic.....and welcome to the forum.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #5 
kneeena

i put him in, he looks soo happy

still haven't decided on a name ! haha, heater and filter will be coming very soon ! slow steps to getting it right. Lol, i absolutely fell in love, just read up on them and learned so much <3
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Nice job....what a lovely Betta and nice set up.......

Heaters and thermometer are a must unless you live in a tropical environment and maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range...

Filters are not needed per se-but can help by establishing the nitrogen cycle and reducing the percent of one of the weekly water changes that are needed on 2.5gal tank

On filtered 2.5gal tanks-twice weekly 50% water change are needed to maintain water quality

On unfiltered 2.5gal tanks twice weekly water changes of: 1-50% and 1-100% are needed to maintain water quality
First 50% water change needs to start on day 3 with new setups.

If on city water supply use a good dechlorinator with any water added to the fish and with water changes try and keep the water temp within a few degrees between new and old water to prevent temp related problems....

Careful and try not to overfeed....these guys will come up wagging their tail begging for food..... so its easy to overfeed them...resist temptation.....it can be hard.....lol.....

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...be warned...it can be addictive and soon you may find yourself with another......and another...and another....lol.....they do grow on you.....laffs....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-10-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #7 
Malvolti

I have those barrels too! Unfortunately my Shrimp and Frogs have moved in, my Betta lives in his log. Still, nice tank and welcome to the wonderful addicting world of Bettas.

You've already made several good choices in Tank size and coming here for advice.

Others have mentioned the heater so I won't. Filters aren't mandatory, in some cases they can be bad for Bettas. I would recommend looking for a Tetra Whisper 3i but even this can sometimes be a bit strong. Most PetsMarts carry them.

Eiter way just make sure you do some frequent water changes and your boy will be happy.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #8 
kneeena

me and my boyfriend already talked this over, once a week w/ the conditioner until i can get the filter, the heater will come first cause my boyfriend likes to keep the apartment freezing cold, soo i know that's not a good combo, but i put the tank my bedroom where it's always warm ;-D i'm soooo excited, named him poophead cause that's what i call my boyyy ! haha, he's super excited too which makes me excited !

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-10-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: language
Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #9 
kneeena

got the heater ! ;-D i'm soo pumped. hahaha
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #10 
scootshoot

Love your deco. Heater and Thermometer are mandatory
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote