Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 
bettakeeper91

Mystery Snail Food Recipe

Here is a great food recipe for all you mystery snail owners out there. Here it is:
Ingredients:
3-5 crushed calcium pills
1 crushed algae disk
A couple of crushed fish flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon of honey

Add all the ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl, mix them until they all stick together (this won’t be pretty, but it will get better). Microwave all the ingredients for 20 seconds and stir until they are nicely mixed together. *For the next step you have to work as fast as possible, the mix will harden within minutes* Pour the mixture into small portions about the size of the original algae disk on tinfoil and put in the freezer to set. Leave them there for about an hour and when you take them out, let them come to room temperature by leaving them out in a room for about another hour. They are ready for your snails to chow down on! Give it to them one at a time and only once a week but remember to be feeding them their normal food in between. Store in a re-usable container in the fridge. Enjoy!
Tell me what you think!
bettakeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #2 
bettakeeper91

Guys, has anyone tried it out yet?? I want to know if your snails like it! :)
Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #3 
bettafish15

If I ever get a mystery snail, I will so try this!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #4 
DormDrax

So will I (Once I get my Snail Tomorrow)... sounds like an interesting little recipe.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #5 
bettakeeper91

Great! But can I make a little modification? *Ok ALWAYS store them in the freezer and don't worry about letting it settle to room temperature for an hour. Just take it out of the freezer and give it to your snail right away. The honey stops it from freezing rock hard to don't worry about it hurting your snails.* I gave one to my snail the other day and he loved it. It attracts even the pickiest of snails to get a good intake of calcuim for their shell. They love the sweetness of the honey and honey has natural sugars in it so it is 100% safe. Do not however, give your snails normal white sugar! Anyways, enjoy and tell me what you and your snails think!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #6 
small fry

Neat. I wouldn't have thought to feed my aquatic pets honey. Sounds sticky (lol jk). I'll have to try that!

I plan to get another Mystery snail today, anyway. Since I accidently killed my last one with water treatment, I've been wanting another one SO badly! I am easily entertained by slow-moveing invertebrates!
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #7 
bettakeeper91

Hehe I love mystery snails! The recipe is also good because once it makes contact with the bottom of you tank, the top layer will melt alway once your snail starts eating and the middle layer will stick to the bottom until to next water change or until your snail eats it all! So what are you going to name your snail? I have a fairly large black one so I named it Blackberry!
Old 01-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #8 
small fry

If you are asking me, I don't know yet. I named my last one Davy Jones.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #9 
bettakeeper91

Aww, that is so cute. What colour? Did you get him yet?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #10 
small fry

I didn't get him today.. I have a small, independant LFS and they weren't open normal Saturday buisness hours today.

Davy Jones was a Gold Mystery Snail. I want to get another that looks alot like him.