Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #1 
lilchiwolf
Member
 
lilchiwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Haven Michigan
Lightbulb New To The Betta Breeding, would love some pro advise!

So, I have done my research, again, and have my 5 gal breeding tank all set up.

Got the heater
Got the plants (fake ones. all the places where I live have snails all over their real plants. It SUCKS)
Got the cup for the nest
Got the male in there
Picked a female that he likes, but all she wants to do is beat him up. I have other females, but they are not ready yet and still really small. The picked female is showing signs of readyness, but really tries to get at the male with an open mouth.

Any suggestions? This is my 3rd try at this. I had one good go with my yellow SD and VT female (who has passed on), but there was never any eggs outta her. Not sure why, she looked like a wrecking ball.

Can anyone give me some tips? The males I have down, but how do I know when the female is ready? I know the body pattern, the egg spot. Its the aggression I am having the issue with.
Also, do you wait till the male has a bubble net before adding the female in the cup? Or fut the female in before he even started the nest?

Any help would be awesome. I really want to learn to master this so I can produce nice bettas for shows some day!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #2 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Ahh let em fight haha. Agressive females are better than wimpy ones IMO. Sometimes I jar the female...most of the time I don't.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #3 
lilchiwolf
Member
 
lilchiwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Haven Michigan
Talking Oh boy... XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Ahh let em fight haha. Agressive females are better than wimpy ones IMO. Sometimes I jar the female...most of the time I don't.
Well I just did some pair swops. My yellow SD seems to really like my new red/black female VT. She is warry but interested. She was the most agressive when put with the other females, but really toned it down with this male near her. She is now in a jar and he is very quickly building a nest.

My blue CT female is nicked named "Mama Witch" cause she is very nasty. She is the one I want to breed with my CT male, bus she is so aggressive with him he does not even wanna bother with her, kinda stinks. He rather have the small Purple VT I have. So I temp jarred the CT female on the side with my silver and blue Plakat, who now loves her and has started his bubble nest. She is very much wanting to get at him, but in a less aggressive way. She is not flaring or gaping her mouth, she is just really wanting outta the jar every time his comes close.

So it seems my females at this pint wanna cross breed, lol!

I will keep watching as see what happens in the next few days then re-post. I need to get my hands on a good camera so I can take photos. My cell phone cam is crap >.<

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-12-2011 at 12:19 AM.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #4 
jschristian44
Member
 
jschristian44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
im gonna post this without reading any of the pro's advice if they even posted any. im just beginning but have done a lot of research. one thing really caught my eye was the bubble nest. if you have bubble wrap, preferbly the small bubble kind, get a 3x3 piece of that and put it bubble down in the water. leave the male in there, and leave the female in a jar to protect her again. you should see the male make a bubblenest underneath the bubblewrap. i think you were releasing her too soon and thats not good.they will kill eachother if you release them too soon, and if you dont take them away fast enough after spawning. hope i helped a little bit. also, it seems 5 gallons is a bit small for a breeding tank, but you should be fine. people have done it in 2.5 gallons before i think. good luck!
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf
Member
 
lilchiwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Haven Michigan
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
im gonna post this without reading any of the pro's advice if they even posted any. im just beginning but have done a lot of research. one thing really caught my eye was the bubble nest. if you have bubble wrap, preferbly the small bubble kind, get a 3x3 piece of that and put it bubble down in the water. leave the male in there, and leave the female in a jar to protect her again. you should see the male make a bubblenest underneath the bubblewrap. i think you were releasing her too soon and thats not good.they will kill eachother if you release them too soon, and if you dont take them away fast enough after spawning. hope i helped a little bit. also, it seems 5 gallons is a bit small for a breeding tank, but you should be fine. people have done it in 2.5 gallons before i think. good luck!
Thank you so much. I will consider that next time. Right now the male SD has about half a nest under his cup. The female is in her jar with the male looking on. I never released he early, she has always been in the jar. I just have been swapping females to see who likes who, but the are all safe.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #6 
lilchiwolf
Member
 
lilchiwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Haven Michigan
Its day 3 of the female in the jar and male building his nest. The nest is HUGE and the female just got her breeding bands this morning and wanting to get out! YAY! This might work!

I have the day off work so I am going to release her and watch them intently.

Quick question: I know you should never bleach fish tools, but I had an odd fungus (probably the velvet that got my 2 fish sick) on my net. I soaked it in bleach/water, hot, this morning and rinsed it off really good. Is it still safe to use? Or should I just go buy another net?
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #7 
jschristian44
Member
 
jschristian44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
you should never put bleach in a fish tank. your best bet is to just pick another one up, they are only like 3 dollars in the store. much easier than having to worry about expensive fish and a fish tank. that's really a no brainer. with them being so cheap. if they were like 50 dollars then you might have trouble deciding. you can even make your own net using a plastic zip lock bag and a piece of wood on a stick. poke holes in the bag and there u go.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #8 
lilchiwolf
Member
 
lilchiwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Haven Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
you should never put bleach in a fish tank. your best bet is to just pick another one up, they are only like 3 dollars in the store. much easier than having to worry about expensive fish and a fish tank. that's really a no brainer. with them being so cheap. if they were like 50 dollars then you might have trouble deciding. you can even make your own net using a plastic zip lock bag and a piece of wood on a stick. poke holes in the bag and there u go.
Thank you for the advice! I will toss that one out then.
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #9 
jschristian44
Member
 
jschristian44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
yeah why risk the babies and females life for such a cheap product! make your own..get a paint stirring stick, some hot glue, and a ziplock bag.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #10 
JKfish
Member
 
JKfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Georgia
It's fine to bleach fish products, thats how many forum members disinfect their stuff to prevent cross contamination and that's how they often clean tanks before setting it up. Once you soak something in a water bleach solution, rinse rinse rinse in hot water, then dry it. It'll be fine to use. If you'd rather use a vinegar water solution to clean your stuff, that'd be fine too.

I'm starting to try and soak everything for water changes like buckets, syhpons, turkey basters and nets once a month to prevent potential ilnesses from getting from tank to tank once I re-set up my other tank for the sorority.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
betta, breeding, tips

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Betta Love Story Dragonlady Breeding Betta Fish 11 12-03-2010 09:19 PM
Love My New Betta Iziezi Betta Chat 7 11-09-2010 11:01 PM
I'm in LOVE with this betta. Terranariko Betta Chat 8 05-30-2010 04:29 PM
Considering Male Crowntail Betta - Advise? Virus Betta Fish Care 16 03-30-2009 10:18 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.