Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #1 
baylee767

EXTREMELY happy with plant results!

I ordered a bunch of plants from plantedaquariumcentral, and even though it took an extra long time (Over a week) The plants arrived in decent shape! What's more, I got 2 free plants! A tropica sword and a foxtail green. Unfortunatly I didn't have room for the free foxtail green, but the swords look nice. I planted everything in (I left the weights on since I read they're safe) and put a root tab in for the swords. You can't really tell in the pic, but the water is cloudy and there's plant debris EVERYWHERE that didn't come off when I washed it. I'm glad that I don't have any fish in there and wont for multiple weeks...

My fish choice was kinda overstocked, so heavily planting it will be great for it. I read it'll speed up my cycling, too. I'm just so glad there's no fish in there, they'd hate all the rotting plants. Howlong should it take for them to fully adjust and be bright green in my tank, 2 weeks? Pic (Sorry about the size):
Attached Images

baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #2 
Dragonlady

Live plants are awesome. The first 2 weeks are critical with any new shipment. If the plants do well, it would be a good excuse to get another tank to allow room for their full size when they are fully grown. Some types of swords can grow rather large and anacharis will grow like a weed if there are no herbivores in the tank.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #3 
sjones

WOW! Looks awesome!!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Live plants are awesome. The first 2 weeks are critical with any new shipment. If the plants do well, it would be a good excuse to get another tank to allow room for their full size when they are fully grown. Some types of swords can grow rather large and anacharis will grow like a weed if there are no herbivores in the tank.
Trpocia swords only get about 7 inches.

Unfortuantly this will be their permanent home, but I might transfer some of the plant parts (Like you know how anarchis grows, just cutting some of it off and putting that in a new tank) To any new tanks I get. The only other tanks I get will probably only be 5 gallons though /=

I'm definatly going to have to be cutting this anarchis... daily.... I wonder what'll happen when I go to europe in march for 3 weeks....
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #5 
anglnarnld

Your tank is so FAB!! Lol ;)) I wanted to do that with my 20g, but I dont have a hood/lighting for it ;(. Cant wait till you get your females ;D

Last edited by anglnarnld; 01-10-2011 at 08:22 PM.
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 
baylee767

Do you think this will look nice with a small school (5) of Neon tetras... 3 guppies... 3 albino cories... and of course, a Betta? I think that the Neon tetras will look cool swimming in through the Anarchis and foxtail green curtain, the Guppies will look cool appearing through the plants, the cories will look nice swimming around the bottom, and the Betta will look great everywhere.

Lol it's color cordinated. 3 white fish for the bottom, 5 tiny silver and Neon red fish for the middle, 3 small but big tailed colorful fish for the middle, and a large huge finned silvery copper Betta either hiding all the time or chasing everything. I want fish....

EDIT: Anglnarnld, I decided to go with the community since someone on the forum will be sending me a Betta that's great for a community. When I get a different large tank, I'll make a sorority for sure. But I'm poor Lol, so this wont be for MANY months /=

Last edited by baylee767; 01-10-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 
anglnarnld

Ohhh, that sounds like "colorful"!! I like the idea. Go for it!!! ;D
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #8 
Alex09

Im sorry, but 5 Neon tetras, 3 guppies, 3 albino cories, and a betta is seriously overstocking a 10 gallon tank - even a heavily planted one. I suggest removing one of the groups (preferably the neons or the guppies as they may have issues with your betta or vice versa). Your tank may still be overstocked but at least your tank may be able to handle it. with 12 fish in the tank things can go wrong FAST. 7 fish you can still do if you are prepared to do the needed water changes - I would say 50% a week as thats what I do in my 10 gal (8 fish) and my water params are perfect.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #9 
baylee767

Ok Alex. I was kinda iffy on the Neons because they seemed kinda sensative and likely to be eaten, so I was probably going to get rid of them.

I'm 105% stocked without the Neons. I've already asked the current owner of the Betta I'm getting if he'll be okay with guppies, and this Betta shared a divided tank and ignored his severly aggressive crowntail neighbor so he said that he should be fine. And yes, I was planning on doing big water changes. If I were to do the Neons I'd do twice weekly 50%, but since I'm not I'm knocking it down to once weekly.

Thanks for your help in guiding me towards my final plant decisions Alex09 (=
Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #10 
baylee767

Well... *twitch eye* if you guys give me permission I eh... might... maybe... probably... *cough* sorority...make... change... you know... make it a sorority like I planned originally!

The one dilemma is that Neon needs to be in a cycled tank in March (No water changes for 3 weeks!) But if I try hard enough I might get enough money to buy a 5 gal soon so I can start cycling a tank for him when we're gone.

But would a sorority even work in this tank? I mean it has a lot of plants, but is that enough hiding places? I'm thinking if I do a sorority 5 or 6 females. Would they jump out? 0.0 Okay now I REALLY want a sorority again.