Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 AM   #1 
drg889

New Tank help/assistance

I recently got a new 5 gallon tank from Petsmart today to replace my poor lil bettas 1/2 gallon tank he has been in for a little bit. sadly he was a table decoration at a formal dinner/party at a hotel and i just snatched him home!

I had a few questions about my new tank, it came with a huge filter (it was a topfin 5g aquarium kit). As soon as i put him in, the current made him flow around and he actually got sucked in a little bit into the filter so i quickly unplugged it. Now i'm wondering how to alleviate this, both the current and suction. Am i better off getting a filter maybe made for a 1-3 gallon tank? (i'm using one in a 1.5gl tank for my crowntail till i get another new tank) and the current and suction are no problem.

also, if anyone has any advice about heater fluctuations, because my room is always at 50-55F (cold room combined with cold California weather). The new 5gallon tank has an adjustable heater so it stays at a constant 78degrees area. but the 1.5 gallon tank fluctuates 2-3degrees during the day sometimes more if a heater is turned on, any advice?

Thanks!
drg889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #2 
baylee767

You don't have to get rid of the filter. We call it baffeling the filter when we make the current slower.

One method is to take FILTER (NOT household) Sponge and rubber band it around the intake/outtake. There is also a stickied thread on here about baffeling with a water bottle.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

We prefer the sponge method that baylee767 described as too the bottle method.
But it's whatever u find nicer.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote