Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #1 
Dynomite

How to do water changes

Hello,

some of you know that i switched my Dino from a 1+gallon to a 2.5 gall tank. He has a heater and a thermometer (which is supposed to keep a temp of 78 degrees, but the thermom reads 74 ).
When i had him in the smaller tank, i'd scoop him up, put him in a small container with his old water, and change 100% of the water. it was super easy since it was small.
I've had to change the water in the 2.5 gallon tank and it's just so heavy to take to the bathroom, and the gravel doesn't quite come out easily...it's just not a pleasant experience!
is there an easier way?? if i need to do 50% water changes, how would i go about making sure all the gunk comes out?
do i need a filter? if so, please reccomend one to use with a 2.5 gall

as always, thank you for your help!
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #2 
sjones

You could go graveless, or bare bottom tank-I do in my critter keepers, much easier to do water changes, at first the 2.5 gallon was heavy but after doing it a couple times my muscles got stronger so now i just carry it to the sink and clean it with hot water-be sure not to use any detergent or soap
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #3 
Dynomite

but dont they need the gravel for the good bacteria and to help filter the poo?
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In a 2.5g unfiltered tank you need to do 1-50% and 1-100% water change a week....

In the small tanks I like to do the stir and dip method for filtered tanks and the dip method for unfiltered tanks

Its a good idea to make yourself a cleaning kit of sorts-label everything "fish only" and keep in the bucket between water changes
1-1-2gal bucket
1-small plastic cup
thermometer
dechlorinator
algae scruber
chopstick or anything will work
small container with a lid for the fish
soft mesh net

On the 50% water change-unplug the heater-dip half the water out and replace with like temp dechlorinated water

On the 100%-unplug the heater-remove the fish and place in the temporary holding cup with a lid-dip the water out and then take to the sink and rinse with warm water-use the algae scrubber to clean the side-set back up and refil with like temp dechlorinated water-plug the heater back in-dump half the water out of the temporary holding cup with the Betta and replace with new tank water over 5 minutes and repeat-net the fish and place in tank

Your 50% weekly you don't need to get all the waste out-but you do want to be careful and not over feed in general or leaving lots of uneaten food in the tank to decay-polluting the water too much between regular water changes

Remember-you are NOT working with a sterile environment or trying to create one-you have both good and bad bacteria and you want to balance these so the good bacteria will take care of the bad naturally

Filter are not needed-but can be helpful and reducing the percent of one of the weekly water changes but not the number in small tanks.

You make one water change for water quality and the other for fin health in this species

In small tanks-the wrong type of filters can be both good and bad....good- by reducing the percent of one of the water changes and bad- because the water flow can sometimes cause fin damage on the longer fin males

A good filter for small tanks are small sponge filters-by adding one the nitrogen cycle will establish and you can maintain water quality with 2-50% water changes a week-one that include the substrate and one that is water only

The stir and dip method 50% water change with a small filtered tank-unplug both the heater and filter-leave the fish in the tank-use the algae scrubber as needed- use the chopstick and give the substrate a stir to bring the waste up in the water column and dip half the water out (you will not get all the waste and this is okay) replace with like temp dechlorinated water-plug the heater and filter back in-the water should clear in about an hour-if not, you missed a water change someplace....and may have to do another 50% water only to get the water clear.

Its all in how much work you are willing to do to maintain- water quality, health and fins for your wet-pet....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-09-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #5 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
but dont they need the gravel for the good bacteria and to help filter the poo?
if you do not have a cycled filtered tank there is no bacteria so there is no need for gravel.
If you look around the site a lot of folks have bare bottom tanks;)
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

I did consider going gravel-less/bare bottom, nothing frustrates me more the water change vacuum day. But I think bare bottom tanks are not really pretty so I endure it.

A gravel bottom tank looks a bit more natural and it does keep some bacteria good and bad.

Anyways I had small question to ask here, where do u guy's dump the used water during a water change?
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #7 
soccerdog693

I use some to water my plants, the rest goes into a bucket and down the drain.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:08 AM   #8 
LeroyTheBetta

I siphon my fish water out into a bucket, then onto the plants in pots outside. The rest I dump on the grass. Sometimes, since my tank is about 2 feet from the sink, I just siphon directly down the drain, plug in, then a good sanitizing scrub of the sink.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:12 AM   #9 
baylee767

Sorry if I repeated something someone else said since I didn't read through the thread... BUT...

When I do water changes I take a cup and some sort of container. Then I just scoop most of the water into the container and then take out the decorations and then I dump out the water when there is only 1/4-1/8 of the water left. Then I just rinse off the sides... rinse the stuff off... put the tank back in its original spot... take a 2 litter soda bottle with conditioned water... and fill up the tank with that and then add stuff. Sorry to make this so hard to read.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #10 
Neelie

i made a tutorial with pics and all. link is in my signature
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote