Quasimodo has been treated for parasites (2 doses of Jungle Bowl Buddies Parasite remover 48 hrs apart with 50% water change in between) and moved into a 10 gallon tank last night, 48 hours after his last parasite treatment. A few minutes after being moved, he threw up (he'd been fed earlier in the morning). Recently, he's not been very motivated to move and he's back to swimming with his head toward the surface, which he hasn't done in about a month. While moving him with a net, he lost the tip of one of his rays.
I was hoping the parasite treatment would help, but it hasn't so far. He seemed a little more active in the 10 gallon, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
Today, I am going to get him some pellets, a heater, light bulbs for his hood, a filter and maybe some plants.
Here are my questions:
1) What pellets are best?
2) How often should I change his tank water in his 10G? I can only find this information for community tanks, which I'd like to make his one if/when he gets well and stable.
3) What filter would be best? I'm thinking about getting an undergravel filter.
4) Would it be OK to treat him for parasites again?
5) Does losing that tip of his fin necessarily mean fin rot and what is best for it? The tip lost was curled; does that mean it's already damaged and more fragile? I don't want to treat him for something he doesn't have.
6) His heater is doing a poor job in his 10 gallon tank. What heater would you recommend? I'd like one with settable temperature control.
7) Could this be stress from being moved so much lately? I have moved him a lot lately due to treatments and accidental food dumping and now a new tank. One of the reasons I got the 10 gallon was to reduce the stress of water changes.
Approximate Timeline of water changes and moves since January 1st 2011-
Jan 3rd- Arrived home from extended vacation, 100% water change
Jan 4th- Bubble nest in corner of tank, fish appears to have brighter colors
Jan 5th- Food dumping and 100%water change, noticed stringy poop, dose 1 of Jungle parasite treatment
Jan 7th- Facing surface, hides behind filter, not as active
Jan 8th- 50% water change, loses tip of fin in process, and dose 2 of parasite treatment
Jany 10th- New 10g Tank
Thank you! Any and all input is greatly appreciated!