Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #1 
naturegirl243

What else can I do for possible fin rot?

Well with my new job at my barn I don't have alot of free time.some water changes may have been forgotten about but nothing got to bad or out of control.Anyways Youki starting getting a little fin rot I think he started loosing sections of fins now you would think him being white I could see some sort of black but I can't see any color change anywhere at all.Well keeping him in his usual tank is out of the option cause he is in a 10 gal. split in half that he shares with Diego.So I have put him in my 1 gal. mini bow as a hospital tank I put a hydro mini heater in it but I took the filter out, cause I thought it would be a little to strong especially if I am trying to grow his apperantly sensitive fins back since it was strong for my HMPK male that is dead now(not cause of the filter he was in a different tank when he died)I have been doing 100% water changes ever night and adding regular water conditioner,stress coat,and aq. salt.Am I doing too much?Or should I be doing something different?Or am I not doing enough?Like I said I am not even sure it's fin rot I know he is not bitting, I was thinking maybe it was a combo of him flaring quite a bit when he sees Diego and the filter and the not as clean as it used to be water but still not that dirty just not perfectly clean.Ok I will stop rambling I just want to help my boy have his pretty white fins back.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 
naturegirl243

Really nobody has any input?
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think just keeping the water clean is the best thing for him. It looks like you are already doing that. I don't think you're doing too much. I think you're doing the right thing. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I agree with Dramaqueen....it sounds like you are doing everything right...it takes time.....

How much aquarium salt are you using?

Nutrition is also important to promote healing and regrowth....small frequent meals of high protein foods live or frozen

Adding tannins to the water can also help-either naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf or IAL or blackwater extract...even decaf green tea in a pinch

Mix up a 1gal jug of dechlorinated treatment water, add the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and the tannins and use this water for the daily 100% water changes for 10 days.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote