Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #1 
turtle10

Red face Ugh impulse buy...

So today I went to my LFS to buy some Indian Almond Leaves and Blackworms since my betta is coming in from Thailand tomorrow. As I go through the aisles I pass by the betta section and I take a look just 'cause I am curious. There was this one male in a vase like container (prob. about .5-.8 gallon) but he was barely getting any light like the other fishes. As I was looking at him trying to make out his colors, it looked like he was talking to me! I swear he was interacting with me, it was as if he was saying "Hellooo I see you there looking at me, can you hurry up and take me home?" So of course instead of just leaves I came home with a filter, heater, substrate, and fish. He is now in my 5.5 gallon swimming everywhere. He has a little hidey cave made out of half a coconut, a crystal rock, an anacharis, a small wisteria, a java fern, and a banana plant. I could probably put some morimo ball moss in there since the one in my other tank has split. He also has a long thin piece of driftwood.

I know I probably shouldn't have done it but I don't regret it. He looks so happy. Any thing I should do to care for him right now in his new tank?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #2 
turtle10

Are daily water changes enough?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #3 
Jupiter

For a 5.5 gallon tank you'll be fine doing one small 25% change and one 100% change per week. Congrats on the new guy, sounds like he has a nice home!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #4 
turtle10

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

+1 what Jupiter said. I bet he's one happy fishie.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #6 
scootshoot

I almost had one of these. There was a 1/2 or 3/4 inch yellow female betta in a little bowl. Looked very healthy and alert. I was sooo close but can't put her in the 14 with the male and I already had disassembled his previous 5 gallon home.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
I almost had one of these. There was a 1/2 or 3/4 inch yellow female betta in a little bowl. Looked very healthy and alert. I was sooo close but can't put her in the 14 with the male and I already had disassembled his previous 5 gallon home.
You can always REASSEMBLE the 5 gal.!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 
turtle10

So true Lion Mom! After getting my fish store betta I rushed home and quickly got the tank set up. Scootshoot you should see if she is still there! If so, it was meant to be!

By the way you guys, my Dalmatian male Betta arrived yesterday from Thailand. He is doing great but I think he might have Swim Bladder Disorder (he is a doubletail)
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
So true Lion Mom! After getting my fish store betta I rushed home and quickly got the tank set up. Scootshoot you should see if she is still there! If so, it was meant to be!

By the way you guys, my Dalmatian male Betta arrived yesterday from Thailand. He is doing great but I think he might have Swim Bladder Disorder (he is a doubletail)
on the reassemble! Hope she is still there! Maybe you should have just picked her up when you saw her and set up the tank once you got home.

Personally, I have never, and never see myself, purchased a fish from overseas. Too expensive, IMO, too much hassle and it just doesn't FEEL right to me for some reason!!!

Besides, think of all the STRESS a fish goes through getting shipped multiple times like that - YIKES!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #10 
scootshoot

*Must Resist*
*Must Resist*
*Must Resist*

I think I can.....
I think I can.....
I think I can.....
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote