Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Cool Dante's made up his mind

he doesn't like being a "boring" ol' copper delta anymore. he wants to be more interesting. he decided, he wants to be a copper doubletail.

Dante's my only tail biter. he only does it when i leave for hours, like to go watch a movie in the living room, play video games on my brother's TV, or go hang out with friends. it wouldn't bug me so much, if he didn't do it so extremely! i'll try to get pics of his "new look", but he's bitten a big chunk from the middle! he looks like a doubletail crowntail/Veiltail mix! D: the bottom "lobe" is long, pretty, with minimal biting. the top "lobe" is short and spikey, like a CT(he actually bit AROUND the rays, too!).

i was told that, maybe he gets bored when i leave. that i'm his entertainment. he's never done it THIS drastically before, though.

i'm almost out of aquarium salt, too. D: i use it after he chomps away, to keep infections from setting in. i use it for Cup, my VT, too, cause he over flares and rips up his fins with that. >.>;

UGH, Dante! D: if i had a "prettier" tank, you'd be moved to the living room, but, sadly, i don't. D:

anyone got any tips on how to keep him from doing that when i leave? or got any extra Aquarium Salt you don't mind sharing? >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #2 
Jupiter

I know! Tail biters can be so...

I had a similar problem to you. I had a very handsome VT on my desk, where I would spend most of my time, so I guess he was used to me keeping him company. Whenever I'd go away for more than a few days, he'd shred his tail! It was really frustrating.

Try keeping him occupied? Maybe mixing the decor around to keep things new for him. If the tank's big enough, maybe you could consider getting him a small companion, like a shrimp or snail.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #3 
Luimeril

are BBS big enough for an adult betta? it was suggested i try live foods, and i'm looking to get more plants and decor for him, so if anyone has any they're willing to give me, i'd love you forever. lol i'm also looking to get this when i can:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3611436

so i can put him in the living room, where there's always someone in there to interact with him.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 
dragonfair

If his tailbiting gets much worse, you might need to move his tank into the living room despite what it looks like... until you can get him the prettier tank.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #5 
Luimeril

it's pretty bad as is, and i'm thinking about talking to mom about doing it anyways. sure, it may not be the prettiest tank in the world, but i adore it. <3 and, i'm gonna steal the plants from Chappy(since she'd rather have her Java Moss anyways), do a water change, and re-arrange his tank.